Should I get it?

I resurected 3 old YZ's (2 82's & a 78), and you're going to have a couple grand to get them going. I would think for a late 90's bike, you could get a running one for a grand or so. Maybe offer $150, and Ebay the parts separately, and you'd probably get your cash back. :noidea:

I resurected 3 old YZ's (2 82's & a 78), and you're going to have a couple grand to get them going. I would think for a late 90's bike, you could get a running one for a grand or so. Maybe offer $150, and Ebay the parts separately, and you'd probably get your cash back. :noidea:

I was wanting to restore it, just to do it. I think if I get it and feel like its going to go down hill, I will part it out.

Hey Willy - that Badboy looks like she'll run straight out of the box! Seriously, I'd get it and work on it just for kicks and giggles. If nothing else, it will be like spending $250 for an educational experience. I say go for it. :thumb:

James

Staff member
Have you done a quick look over to see what's missing?

Hey Willy - that Badboy looks like she'll run straight out of the box! Seriously, I'd get it and work on it just for kicks and giggles. If nothing else, it will be like spending $250 for an educational experience. I say go for it. :thumb:
:thumb: What he said. Get it and go through everything and come up with a parts list. Then add 10-20% to the final total (for the stuff you missed or just don't know about yet) and if you're comfortable with the amount do it. If not I'd do what you said and just part it out.

Before you spend the money, start pricing all the stuff you're going to need first.

All bearings- Crank, Primary, Output, all 3 needle bearings for the trans, and I
think there's one on the clutch.
A rod kit- If you don't have a press, you'll have to pay to have that done.
A complete seal kit
Clutch
Piston and rings ( maybe a jug too)
I don't see a pipe
Chain and sprockets
Sitting around out side, all the plastics, and the tank are probably trash.
What else? Tire, tubes, why's it apart to begin with? Shifting forks, gears, shift drum, if there's rust.

Like I said in chat, good luck with whatever you do. :thumb:

That's the exact way I look at it :thumb:

Have you done a quick look over to see what's missing?

:thumb: What he said. Get it and go through everything and come up with a parts list. Then add 10-20% to the final total (for the stuff you missed or just don't know about yet) and if you're comfortable with the amount do it. If not I'd do what you said and just part it out.

I haven't went and looked at it, so I don't know what all is there. He said he has a brand new piston, all the parts (doubt it), and an extra set of cases I think.

Before you spend the money, start pricing all the stuff you're going to need first.

All bearings- Crank, Primary, Output, all 3 needle bearings for the trans, and I
think there's one on the clutch.
A rod kit- If you don't have a press, you'll have to pay to have that done.
A complete seal kit
Clutch
Piston and rings ( maybe a jug too)
I don't see a pipe
Chain and sprockets
Sitting around out side, all the plastics, and the tank are probably trash.
What else? Tire, tubes, why's it apart to begin with? Shifting forks, gears, shift drum, if there's rust.

Like I said in chat, good luck with whatever you do. :thumb:

That's what eBay is for :smirk: But yeah I have a machine shop down the road from me, I wonder if they could give me some work for cheap

:thumb: Well there you go, However we expect a fully detailed write-up, with pictures, updated daily. :P

Maybe not daily, but for sure a rebuild thread :thumb: I can't wait to get it here, but of course it's a project so money is a factor. My bike is def first

James

Staff member
Maybe not daily, but for sure a rebuild thread :thumb: I can't wait to get it here, but of course it's a project so money is a factor. My bike is def first
:thumb:

After seeing some of these rebuilds on here, I really wish that I would have detailed mine better. :foul:

:thinking: Maybe I should just rebuild another.:ride:

:thumb:

After seeing some of these rebuilds on here, I really wish that I would have detailed mine better. :foul:

:thinking: Maybe I should just rebuild another.:ride:

Yeah I wish I did that when I was younger and had more time on my hands. If I remember right my dad sent the engine out the day he bought it and got it bored out sometime in 99 but most of the time he just :rant: :lol: