Should I get 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

I'm looking to get my first bike to mess around in and have fun but don't know what I should get. I've ridden on a Yamaha 250 4 stroke and liked the power and how it handled but a 125 2 stroke also looks very appealing even though I have never ridden a 2 stroke before. What should I choose and which brands should I get for either of them?

Not enough information.

How about telling us:
Riding location or type of riding you will be doing
This yamaha 250 4 stroke - what was it (yz, ttr, year, etc)
I see you are in the bay area - where are you going to ride?

More details and we may be able to steer you in a direction.

Not enough information.

How about telling us:
Riding location or type of riding you will be doing
This yamaha 250 4 stroke - what was it (yz, ttr, year, etc)
I see you are in the bay area - where are you going to ride?

More details and we may be able to steer you in a direction.
I am 18, 5 ft 4 in, 170 lbs. The bike was a 2000 yz 250f. I ride in an abandoned baseball field with small jumps and is almost like a small track. I would like to find some trails to ride on later on.

Experience? A 2 stroke especially a 125 is not a bike to be played with. It will put you on your butt in a hurry, and needs to be ridden on the pipe. A 250 or 300 2 stroke not so much.
Little more info about you.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome!!
Unfortunately you're asking a question that is mostly personal preference.
Keep it to a full size frame/wheels and the engine will be up to how you ride.

I like a big engine for lugging through tough stuff, but can also provide more power than any scenario calls for.
Also, the most fun I've ever had was absolutely WOT on a small (to me) 2T through familiar trails. Something about being at 100% of a bikes potential makes it insanely fun.

Let us know what you decide!!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

it doesn’t matter. Get a bike you can afford and flog it! You will eventually find what you like and what you don’t like if it doesn’t kill you it won’t be your last bike

Welcome!!
Unfortunately you're asking a question that is mostly personal preference.
Keep it to a full size frame/wheels and the engine will be up to how you ride.

I like a big engine for lugging through tough stuff, but can also provide more power than any scenario calls for.
Also, the most fun I've ever had was absolutely WOT on a small (to me) 2T through familiar trails. Something about being at 100% of a bikes potential makes it insanely fun.

Let us know what you decide!!
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Thank you it has been very helpful.

it doesn’t matter. Get a bike you can afford and flog it! You will eventually find what you like and what you don’t like if it doesn’t kill you it won’t be your last bike
Experience? A 2 stroke especially a 125 is not a bike to be played with. It will put you on your butt in a hurry, and needs to be ridden on the pipe. A 250 or 300 2 stroke not so much.
Little more info about you.
Little experience and still got a lot to learn but know how to ride. I just like to get on a bike and get rough and rowdy with it.

Both are great options.
You couldn't make a bad choice here.
4-stroke is gonna cost you more in parts when you break it.
If it we're me, knowing what I know now, (I own a yz125 and a kx250f), I would go with the 125.
Its the bike I've owned longest, and I always come back to it.

A 2 stroke especially a 125 is not a bike to be played with. It will put you on your butt in a hurry
I agree. Mine almost did a few weeks ago before I broke it.

So just pick one.

BTW - welcome.

Hey guys, I'm also looking to get some opinions on what bike to get. I'm 18, 6'1"and about 150lbs. I'm also trying to decide between a 125 2 stroke and a 250 4 stroke. I do a lot of trail riding on atvs and I've owned both 2 and 4 stroke quads so I know basic maintenance for both. I've also had a couple different pit bikes over the last few years. I've rode a kx250f before but haven't had the chance to ride a 125 2 stroke yet. Along with trail riding I will also occasionally ride my friends track. My budget is around 3k.
Thank you for any advice!

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sounds like anything you choose, you'll have a good time pulling the throttle on. Get one with sikk graphixx. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Okay so hello I'm 14 years old, 175-180 ish pounds where I live is mostly in town and there aren't a lot of tracks near me that I know about and I'm I want to get into dirt biking but with everyone's opinions that I see I'm finding hard on which bike is best for me and I guess I just need help on finding out what I should go with as I will most likely be riding trails and streets .

SRAD97750

Staff member
Get a used bike and form you an opinion!
As you said, everyone has a different idea of what tool works for what task and the style in which they perform those tasks.
-BIG DAN :thumb: