Shifting without the clutch?

A cog is a alternate name for a gear.

A gear dog is a sliding engagement mechanism. In this pic the dogs are the three projections on the left gear. Not this is from a street bike where the clutch is used all the time so it can get away with three. To make the transmission more clutchless shifting friendly, MX transmissions generally use six more substantial dogs.

dogs.jpg

A cog is a alternate name for a gear.

A gear dog is a sliding engagement mechanism. In this pic the dogs are the three projections on the left gear. Not this is from a street bike where the clutch is used all the time so it can get away with three. To make the transmission more clutchless shifting friendly, MX transmissions generally use six more substantial dogs.

dogs.jpg

Ya learn something everyday...thanks Carl.

Ya learn something everyday...thanks Carl.

These dogs are the little things that become chipped when not using the clutch, also the inner milled out section of the other shown gear can become damaged also, when either one "or both" become damaged the gearbox will either keep jumping out of gear or worse, bend or break the selector shift fork. How do I know this ? I've been repairing bikes for over 20 years, its also not uncommon to see only 3 dogs on a gear of a dirtbike like the one pictured, depends on the model, gear and H.P of the bike.

If you only use a bike for a season or two and flog it off, I guess go ahead and shift without the clutch, but if you plan on keeping your bike longer, then try and use the clutch. Just wish I still had the junk here so I could place up damaged parts.

Don't worry on occasions I've shifted without the clutch myself, but continually doing it wrecks parts.

A :wink:

These dogs are the little things that become chipped when not using the clutch, also the inner milled out section of the other shown gear can become damaged also, when either one "or both" become damaged the gearbox will either keep jumping out of gear or worse, bend or break the selector shift fork. How do I know this ? I've been repairing bikes for over 20 years, its also not uncommon to see only 3 dogs on a gear of a dirtbike like the one pictured, depends on the model, gear and H.P of the bike.

If you only use a bike for a season or two and flog it off, I guess go ahead and shift without the clutch, but if you plan on keeping your bike longer, then try and use the clutch. Just wish I still had the junk here so I could place up damaged parts.

Don't worry on occasions I've shifted without the clutch myself, but continually doing it wrecks parts.

A :wink:
My dad and I have been shiftting without the clutch forever. No issues yet, and my bike is 8yrs old, his is 18.... only 35 and 17hp bikes though

My dad and I have been shiftting without the clutch forever. No issues yet, and my bike is 8yrs old, his is 18.... only 35 and 17hp bikes though

I guess it comes down to the luck of the draw when it comes to gearboxes etc, some are better then others, I remember some bikes had issues with stripping teeth off first gear, the problem there was first gear was machined onto the input shaft which was an expensive exercise if you stuffed first gear, just as older CRF's have valve issues etc, some bikes are designed a little better then others.

I always shift with my clutch, it would be hard to tell my brain not to. Occasionally I shift without the clutch if that's the situation.

Why would you shift without using the clutch. I can see if you are racing and off the starts, you are slamming gears and it is faster (even though I can shift pretty fast using the clutch), but play riding? Not like you are in that of a hurry all the time to use a couple fingers and pull the clutch in. I rest a finger on the clutch so i have access to it at all times, especially when in tight canyons or rocky terrain.

Why would you shift without using the clutch. I can see if you are racing and off the starts, you are slamming gears and it is faster (even though I can shift pretty fast using the clutch), but play riding? Not like you are in that of a hurry all the time to use a couple fingers and pull the clutch in. I rest a finger on the clutch so i have access to it at all times, especially when in tight canyons or rocky terrain.

Maybe we have a lot of uncoordinated people here :lol:

so if you are blasting up a hill at full throttle, can you grab a gear without even letting off the gas?

Yes. At least I've had to do this before. There are times when the possible mechanical abuse is worth it.

Generally in this mode you were in too high of a gear and the revs are dropping out of the powerband and it's downshift or get stuck. On some hills that can mean a real problem. Now if you are upshifting instead, I would let off the throttle at a minimum as getting stuck isn't a problem then.

My bike has a real bad habit of finding neutral if I down shift 2 to 1 on a rocky technical climb using the clutch. If it's a loose hill then downshifting to first is useless anyway.

So, let me get this straight - if shifting without the clutch should I be using 80w gear oil and if so, is more expensive oil better than cheap oil? Also, should I adjust the clickers or buy a new decal kit? :picard: