Service Kawasaki KX500 AF

Adam, I have owned 3 kx 500's. starting with the very first, (air cooled) that came into my state. They are my second favorite 500cc two stroke, which is saying a lot. In stock form they feel too wide. My last one which was bought to build up and sell was a 2002. through it all I kept the first water cooled cr500 I ever had. The slimmer feel and the wider ratio trans that you can get for a cr500 is just a little bit more to my liking, not to mention that it makes the same hp, but at a lower rev range than my KX's did. and WE DONT NEED NO STINKING POWERVALVES.

the idea of a kx500 in the new af of its third cousins is pretty interesting, but not enough to make me part with the money, just like the af cr isnt.

Last edited:
Adam, I have owned 3 kx 500's. starting with the very first, (air cooled) that came into my state. They are my second favorite 500cc two stroke, which is saying a lot. In stock form they feel too wide. My last one which was bought to build up and sell was a 2002. through it all I kept the first water cooled cr500 I ever had. The slimmer feel and the wider ratio trans that you can get for a cr500 is just a little bit more to my liking, not to mention that it makes the same hp, but at a lower rev range than my KX's did. and WE DONT NEED NO STINKING POWERVALVES.

the idea of a kx500 in the new af of its third cousins is pretty interesting, but not enough to make me part with the money, just like the af cr isnt.
Agreed. I just can't imagine shelling out that kinda money. I have read that the cr frame was hands down the better frame and pretty much bulletproof I also read that the kawi motor had a better powerband with a more usable range. Do you think a kx in a cr frame could be the ultimate combo?

well now that there are better frames avail i would probably just hop to one of those. a project that i have half started is a 93 cr 250 with 2004 forks with one of my cr500 engines it it. it was like to me the two engines have a single similarity, and that is the same peak hp. kaw makes it about 1000 rpm higher, and in a way is softer and easier to ride. neither feels like a fine instrument, more like one is a 5 lb sledge and the other a double bitted axe. will will see about it in the 93 roller.

Ditto on the shellout, that is the price of two other good bikes rolled into one.