Science Fair project

Ok, it's sci fi time. Not like monsters and aliens but SCIence FaIr time and I may just have the coolest project out there. I'm doing mine on what you can add to the dirt or to the water truck to help keep the soil wet on the track. I'm testing sawdust, fireplace ashes, compost, salt water and of corse a control sample. These were all thing that were supposly able to work that I found in my research. I'm testing on ground clay. I am using weight and measuring the clay dry, and then again wet and recording the weights every 20 minutes. So far I have 150g I think of dirt (may have the measurment units wrong, I will fid out) and 4g of water. 154g total. Pics on the way, updates too! Thought yall would find this intreasting :thumb:

James

Staff member
This will be interesting. :thumb:

Just to clarify, you'll be measuring the evaporation rates on the different compositions?

Yep, exactly. Nothing happend in 1 hour at all in a hot room. I moved it to 3hrs. I thought this will be intreasting, I'm not a big fan of science :thumb: My dad has to explain why everything happens at the coolest moment and make it 3 hours long :crazy:

can't use salt mixed with water except for paved roadways. the salt concentration contaminates the water shed... alledgedly.

I've built tracks before and the best mix is wood chips and saw dust. the wood chips hold an obscene amount of moisture..
good luck with your testing
Knowledge is power!

the problem with salt would be... rusting of parts on the bike

can't use salt mixed with water except for paved roadways. the salt concentration contaminates the water shed... alledgedly.

I've built tracks before and the best mix is wood chips and saw dust. the wood chips hold an obscene amount of moisture..
good luck with your testing
Knowledge is power!
Yep :thumb: The science teacher wants us to make it intreasting, I plan on explaining how certain things won't work. Mabey too pricy, bad for the enviroment, bike damage, something along that line :ride: Thanks Mi!

Any final update yet?
Well, by the time it was over, all the project samples had held water. The saw dust worked very well. I think it was salt water and saw dust the did the best.
Great project YD! :thumb:

Thanks Nat!:thumb:

Hey, wait... I thought I added some already and they disapperaed :noidea: here you go anyhow
001-20.jpg

002-22.jpg