Rust repair

Gonna steal some thunder on this thread because i don't have enough pics to make my own. But i just tried my hand at body work last night and i came out great. The hole roof was littered with little pitted rust spots and 2 or three of them were about 3" in diameter of pitting and had little pinholes in the center. (These were also on the back curve of the cab right next to the 3rd light). I i filled in the bad ones with fiberglass (on hawks recomendation) But i still had to go over those and the smaller ones with body filler to get it right. Anyways, after a ton of prep and hard work it came out pretty damn good if i do say so myself, especially the fact that its rustoleum out of a harbor freight spray gun. Just thought i'd post about it to give you a little inspiration :wink:. Also, i could have made this look way better if i would do a couple more coats with 600 inbetween and then wetsand and buff but i think im gonna do the whole truck next summer now so that will wait

Attachments

• IMGA0833.JPG
    IMGA0833.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGA0834.JPG
    IMGA0834.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGA0835.JPG
    IMGA0835.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGA0836.JPG
    IMGA0836.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 35
Gonna steal some thunder on this thread because i don't have enough pics to make my own. But i just tried my hand at body work last night and i came out great. The hole roof was littered with little pitted rust spots and 2 or three of them were about 3" in diameter of pitting and had little pinholes in the center. (These were also on the back curve of the cab right next to the 3rd light). I i filled in the bad ones with fiberglass (on hawks recomendation) But i still had to go over those and the smaller ones with body filler to get it right. Anyways, after a ton of prep and hard work it came out pretty damn good if i do say so myself, especially the fact that its rustoleum out of a harbor freight spray gun. Just thought i'd post about it to give you a little inspiration :wink:. Also, i could have made this look way better if i would do a couple more coats with 600 inbetween and then wetsand and buff but i think im gonna do the whole truck next summer now so that will wait
we need better pics brah!

For darren

My truck as she sat when i first got her before rust repairs
IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

repairs have been slow going, but here is the progress so far:

I had to cut out the wheel wells because both of them were just gone, 5" plus holes with almost no structural metal left. So I cut them out and fabbed in some new ones :smirk:
IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

If kyle or james could move my post in hawks over here that would be great :thumb:.

Anyways, here is some better pics. There is some orange peel as its a cheap gun, rustoleum, and i had it mixed a little thick. But from everywhere i've read i could get rid of it if i sanded it with 600 and then paint 2 more coats. Other than that the only "blemishes" are 2 dents i missed when i was filling with putty and the annoying bugs that decided to fuck up my day when i painted it last night in the garage. I should be able to get rid of the bugs and some of the peel by just sanding but im more than happy with it. im about to weld in a patch on the inside of the bed and then it will be 100% rust free.

IMGA0838.JPGIMGA0839.JPGIMGA0840.JPG
These spots is where it took most the filler, there were little spots all over but these were 3" pitted spots. See the bodo, because i don't :)
IMGA0841.JPG
The stupid bugs that i was talking about that peppered it :rant:

Attachments

• IMGA0837.JPG
    IMGA0837.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGA0842.JPG
    IMGA0842.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGA0843.JPG
    IMGA0843.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 33
looks good darren, and I cant see the bondo, so you did a damn good job. To get rid of the orange peel, just get some wet sand paper and go after it with finer and finer increments and then wax the roof after you hit 2k and it will shine :thumb:

looks good darren, and I cant see the bondo, so you did a damn good job. To get rid of the orange peel, just get some wet sand paper and go after it with finer and finer increments and then wax the roof after you hit 2k and it will shine :thumb:

+1 I've been researching this very subject the past couple of days because I might do my top too, and this is exactly what I keep hearing about orange peel.

Looks good Dar-Bear, come do mine :)

No its a guys suburban on a fishing forum :lol: Hes from PA What do you expect.... He just went over it with sheet metal and zip screws .. With some silicone here and there