Rm250 neutral please help

Hi I'm rebuilding my first bike rm250, I'm trying to put it into neutral so I can put it back together but I can't figure out how, not much on the Internet on this so I'd really appreciate any help. John

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hi I'm rebuilding my first bike rm250, I'm trying to put it into neutral so I can put it back together but I can't figure out how, not much on the Internet on this so I'd really appreciate any help. John
Welcome!
Neutral is between 1st and 2nd. It's half the distance of a normal shift.
So, I bottom out the drum and come back half a shift, so the gears spin freely.
It does not need to be in neutral for reassembly. Just make sure it runs through the gears before your torque the cases down, and then after.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Ok I think I got it but no matter what I do the case will not slide into place all the way down, is it supposed to or do I force it?

Well, if you force it you will be looking for another case, or at best become acquainted with the fine art of applying JB weld. I usually have to try a couple times at least to get it all together right, however, if it slides right together the first time with ease......I'm worried that something didn't go right also, or I forgot a washer or whatnot.

I've been trying to put it together for 3 hours nothing works I didn't touch anything in the bottom end I just had to split it to get a hairline crack welded up

Do you have a manual?....suzuki usually has pretty well defined assembly Instructions. You need to find what's out of place or misaligned. You may want to check the welded/repaired case for distortion. As in laying the mating surface on a flat surface and check for any warpage. But still, patience is the key.

I've been trying to put it together for 3 hours nothing works I didn't touch anything in the bottom end I just had to split it to get a hairline crack welded up

They don't just slide together tight immediately. You should be able to get the cases within a 1/4" or so of each other then you need to start tightening the bolts in the crank area in a star pattern.

There is now:thumb:

Welcome!
Neutral is between 1st and 2nd. It's half the distance of a normal shift.
So, I bottom out the drum and come back half a shift, so the gears spin freely.
It does not need to be in neutral for reassembly. Just make sure it runs through the gears before your torque the cases down, and then after.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
:thumb:

Resist the want for the rubber mallet buddy!:mad:
Who welded it? Bike shop or random welder?