Rm125 clutch/power problem

Hi guys iv just bought myself an rm125 1997 had bikes years ago decided to get one to go out with my mate, can anyone help me when I'm in first and I go to take off or to let the clutch go and put on the gas to try and get lift it kinda lags the instant power for
About a second or 2. And if I'm just a going along in 2nd gear and I hammer on the gas to try and get lift or power I get like a lag of power it's not instant I have noticed the exhaust leaks from where it meets the engine and halfway down will this be it like loosing power? Or a clutch problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably float height. While you've got the bowl off clean out the jets. Probably best to buy a bowl gasket and screws and gave them ready before you crack it open.

Before you check the float try adjusting the mixture screw, if it's lean it can cause that. If not then yeah check float height and give the carb a good cleaning,if nothing found wrong there adjust the needle rich by lowering the clip one position. Have fun now.

So first of all I will try the mixture screw see what happens there the bike is on the smokey side I haven't touched anything since buying the bike just had a little ride thanks guys what do you mean buy float height may I ask can this cause the problem ?

So first of all I will try the mixture screw see what happens there the bike is on the smokey side I haven't touched anything since buying the bike just had a little ride thanks guys what do you mean buy float height may I ask can this cause the problem ?

the float allows a certain amount of fuel into the carburater bowl much like the valve controlled by the float in your toilet. If fuel level in the bowl is to low it will cause a lean condition all thru the idle and main circuits in the carb. If fuel level is too high then the exact opposite. Basically if the float is off it doesn't matter what your jets are doing. look up the procedure in your manual or in a pinch google it. But really if you don't have a manual, get one. Set it accordingly, if it was off don't do any thing else. Run it and see how and if it affected the performance of the engine before making any other adjustments or jetting changes.

cheers 2strokesteve for explaining it to me I understand the working procedure of it now which will help I will have to purchase manual of eBay as I do not have one, will to much oil in the mix cause this aswell? And I have noticed exhaust leak where it goes into engine? Anyways I'll start on the carb and go from there so if the mix is getting to much oil you lower the depth of the jet?

cheers 2strokesteve for explaining it to me I understand the working procedure of it now which will help I will have to purchase manual of eBay as I do not have one, will to much oil in the mix cause this aswell? And I have noticed exhaust leak where it goes into engine? Anyways I'll start on the carb and go from there so if the mix is getting to much oil you lower the depth of the jet?

Pre mix the fuel/oil at 32:1, as far as adjusting the float like I said, it will be detailed in the service manual.

And definitely yes to repair leak at head pipe. Could be as simple as o-rings, or bent pipe causing misalignment. So the bike pulls fine once you get passed the 'dead' spot?

Ye I'm gunna buy a full exhaust system the one that's on has taken a beating! Ye the bike pulls fine when its going goes through the gears ok just feel like I lack power when I open it up for a split second it's like just at the start of the power band it cant put the power down its like a few second lag and I noticed when I was going up a hill it's sounded boggy

I am backwards on the carb thing. I start with the float assuming it last got set at the factory, and since it is the one thing common to jetting of any kind, that is where i go first. smoky makes me think that is the best place to start. you are going to be returning to that a lot if you want to keep one jetted crisp once you find the brass that works and the "screw setting" you like.

Could be just a 125 running like a 125. There's not a lot of power to be had at the throttle crack you gotta keep em singing!

just had a look at the jet and the keeper nut for the jet is kinda rounded so it has been tampered with previously just dropped in one on the jet see what's it's like my plug is black !!! And I noticed when I Rev it top end it bogs a little

oh you get people trying to bandaid the crap out of those rather than do the standard tuning procedure of setting the float. it will work for awhile until the float needs setting again. then you can set it or jet it, again. then keep right on repeating until finally it is a slobbering mess (kind of like right now) and then sell it (buy some cool hop up stuff first to see if that fixes it) and start all over with something else,,,,,,,OR.......if you do decide to do as any factory mechanic was doing once an event and set the float, check the jet sizes and if you are more than two jets leaner than factory recommended you may want to proceed with caution, as setting it to factory specs may leave it way lean. anyway, sounds like they probably threw some pieces at it already.

I dropped the jet one ring put it back together and tbh it's not as smokey as it was ran it a little and seemed that bit better I noticed in the slider in the carb was like minimal greyish/black gu but I mean minimal. Noticed oil just under power vales but not sure if it's exhaust leaking from above valves or seals gone on the block it's only one side oil is visible

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 4