RM250 Rm 250 rebuild. Reeds,sprockets.

James

Staff member
Yes AL sprockets are technically better thanks to their weight savings (which is more than 4oz :P), and most of the weight benefit is thanks to the rotating mass. However unless you're one of the top guys (pro'ish level) you won't notice a difference. So I'd save your money and go with steel. :thumb:

Yes AL sprockets are technically better thanks to their weight savings (which is more than 4oz :P), and most of the weight benefit is thanks to the rotating mass. However unless you're one of the top guys (pro'ish level) you won't notice a difference. So I'd save your money and go with steel. :thumb:

Steel gives you more traction then? no?:thinking: flywheel effect?:thinking:

Steel gives you more traction then? no?:thinking: flywheel effect?:thinking:

If a steel rear sprocket is heavier than an aluminum rear sprocket..............:thinking: less rotating mass (aluminum sprockets) allows the engine to spin the rear tire faster with less effort. This equals, in theory more tire spin. With the correct tire on a prepped course, with the right rider, being able to distribute his (her) weight correctly in THEORY should make for a better hook up. But since there is really not that great of a weigh savings from steel to aluminum (16 oz or 1 lb at best) and where that weight is located at on the wheel (in the middle). The weight savings (less rotational mass) is really not that great. Now if you where really concerned about rotational (rotating) mass it would be on the tire itself where the true mass of rotation truly comes into play.

The argument of aluminum vs steel sprockets is really pointless (UNLESS) you have money to burn or your at the level of racing where you truly need every little bit of power that the bike can produce, and be able to put it to the ground. My reasoning for this is that I can light up my back tire just as easily with a steel sprocket as I can with an aluminum. And I do it frequently, as does pretty much everybody else that wants to or tries to go faster. By the way wheel spin doesnt equal fast.

So the real debate should be not what is better (because at our level of riding they are equal). It should be, how much can I save by going with a steel sprocket vs Aluminum. And how much longer the steel sprocket lasts by comparision to the aluminum sprocket. Ive been riding on the same steel sprocket for 3 years. It shows little to NO sign of wear. Granted I dont ride as much as some, but 2-3 times a month for 2-5 hrs per ride adds up. But this isnt about me.

Its about some other guy that wanted to know what a good sprocket set up would be for riding track. Now dont you guys in your infinate wisdom (Jos & Yamadogyz) think that if this guy was a serious level rider (racer) he would be asking us what sprocket set up he should be using? This doesnt make him dumb he is looking for answers which means he doesnt know. Which also means he likely isnt a serious high level rider (racer) because he is asking questions that a rider of that caliber would know the answer too.

So to answer the original question what is the best set up for your particular bike for riding (racing) on a track? Find out what your bike should have come with from your local dealer. They will know if they are worth a shit as a dealer. Its a 10 min phone call. Once youve figured out what is supposed to be on your bike (because off the show room floor they are race ready..... Technically) Then you can go on to the even way less importent decision of deciding should I waste my money on an aluminum sproket that will need to be replaced sooner and cost near double what a steel sprocket. Or save a little cash buy the steel sprocket that will last way longer cost about half as much, while Im figuring out exactly what type of sprocket set up I should have based on the area and type of track Im riding.

There is no one perfect set for all types of riding. Your going to have to spend a little money on different sprocket set ups for the different tracks you intend to ride. But untill then............ Go with a stock set up and buy what ever you want to figure out whats best for you. Its your money Spend It WISELY

.......:needpics:

:prof: I volunteer my services....

stealth-variety-2.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

toe.gif