RM125 rm 125 spark problems

A friend called me today saying that his rm 125 isnt sparking and he needs help. I haven't seen the bike and hav'nt looked it over. He says the spark plug is good but he still isnt getting spark. Im thinking it might be the stator, or just a faulty wire, not sure im going to see it tomorrow. Just wondering if any of you might know whats going on before hand, before i go out there. That way if its a common problem and an easy fix, I can show up, fix it, get paid, and get out of there in time for Monday night football :smirk:.

A friend called me today saying that his rm 125 isnt sparking and he needs help. I haven't seen the bike and hav'nt looked it over. He says the spark plug is good but he still isnt getting spark. Im thinking it might be the stator, or just a faulty wire, not sure im going to see it tomorrow. Just wondering if any of you might know whats going on before hand, before i go out there. That way if its a common problem and an easy fix, I can show up, fix it, get paid, and get out of there in time for Monday night football :smirk:.

well, from what ive read, idk personally, 91-95 RM's had problems with the stators dying, but thats not always what it is, just do some continuity test on the plug wire, and chase back, if all of the wires read good its the stator

Try a new spark plug....Or try that plug in something that will make it fire... Just because its new doesnt mean anything :rolleyes:... Been there,done that

I'll be sure to check that out. His bike is out of town so he said he could get it here Saturday. But that's Christmas eve so I told him not until next week sometime. So I won't know exactly until then. Thanks for the diagnosis haha.

I had spark problems on my 79 rm125. Turns out the spark was hitting the Frame instead of traveling to the plugs electrode. The boot wasnt secured and the spark was escaping there.

He replaced the boot and bought a new sparkplug. Fires right up now. Turns out that the wire wasn't in the boot right like you said. But he got a new boot anyway since the old one was rusted out.

nope, practically every plug wire and boot are the same. The only difference is a 90 degree angle boot or a 180 boot. the stators and resistors are different.:thumb: