Riding with a new group.

Hey guys I only got to ride Sunday. A friend of mine invited me to come up and ride with him, his girlfriend, and his buddy. It wasn't going to be a long ride but it was riding. Well I met them at 8am ready to roll but we were waiting for his girlfriend to get ready. She would be riding a scrambler 500 and we were riding RMZ450, a WR450 and a WR250.

These guys have all rode alot and I was a little intimidated not knowing what to expect. First thing I noticed was they were packing extra fuel. I started to panic. "How far are we riding? I didn't bring extra fuel?" Oh we are riding about 60 miles round trip.........."That was a releaf." I laughed and said oh thats all. He started looking for something for me to take fuel with and I commented I could ride this ride twice with the fuel I have. They both gave me a strange look and asked if I was sure. I Mentioned I was positive as they loaded there fuel.

Well finally here comes his girl friend and we are off.

I first thought this is going to be lame if a 4 wheeler can run with us. Well let me tell you it was anything but lame. That girl can ride a 4 wheeler.:shocked: With my GPS and onboard trip calculator we were averaging 30+mph. With lots of turns, and loose gravel and sand on a hard packed surface. Then you throw in the humps in the road that turned into jumps and the ruts that were 2-3' deep where the water had washed out the road you could say it was interesting. That 4'11" little lady had that 4 wheeler sliding around every corner, catching 2-3' of air and kept that baby humming!

Again worrying about how my ability would matched the other riders I was still nervous. Especially as they were pulling wheelies and such going down the road. Finally we hit the turn off and you had to make a 90 degree corner while crossing some ruts that were about 1' across and 3 feet deep then climb a hill that was littered with tree roots and more ruts. The guys stopped and asked if I would be fine I commented "I thinK so." Then watched as the RMZ hit a tree root and almost lost it. Nervous now I stood up and headed up the hill. Shoot it was cake. :P

5 miles into the ride down there is a pile of dust(More then there has been.) The WR450 was down you could see it just slid out from under him. We get him up and all is good and we are off. I'm now in the middle with the WR450 behind me and the 4 wheeler. We come to a spot in the road that is 4" of loose gravel as you turn about 190 degrees. The rear of my bike dances and I feed her the coal. As soon as I hit the straight stretch I look back to make sure everyone is coming and no one is there. Crap! I spin around and the WR450 is on its side with the rider picking it up. He lost it in the gravel but everything was good and he tells me to get going as he tries to clear it out and get it started. I race to catch up with the RMZ and tell him we may have to back off a little cause his friend has lost it twice. He commented back "He just needs to learn to ride in his comfort zone." A little put off by this I said I would take the rear of the pack and follow the rest the day to make sure everyone made it.

Finally a single track. We peel off on a short single track that cuts the distance between two roads. All was great until we got in the brush. Literally the trail was 18" wide so your bars where burried in the brush. I tried to keep my front brake forward but the brush finally stopped me. After getting the dang brush off the brake and I got the bike fired back up, I fought it until we got out. (God I need some guards)

The rest the trip went well and we arrived at our desination, A resturant on the other side of the mountain. After a nice lunch we all loaded back onto the bikes and headed out after a quick fueling of the 450's. Freaken gas hogs. :lol:

Coming back we desided to take a different road and it was freshly cut by a dozer. Your tires would sink 4" in soft dirt. There was no way I was going to be in the back with the dust this road was going to have. I had ate my share for the day. I took off leading the pack and about lost it a few times in the corners when the tire just never found a bottom to the powder. Well low and behold the road ended and we had to turn around. On our trip out the WR lost it where I almost did on the way in. It was just a hole of powder in the middle of a corner that didn't really have any base. (Can't blame that on him it could have been any of us) I will give the guy credit he never got discurraged or quit screwing off pulling wheelies and such after laying it down 3 times.

The rest of the day was pretty fast as we all headed for home and everyone started wearing down. Everyone rode out without any more problems and we ended the trip with 55 miles on the bikes. What a great trip. I will try posting the few pictures I took on this trip tomorrow. :thumb:

Finally a single track. We peel off on a short single track that cuts the distance between two roads. All was great until we got in the brush. Literally the trail was 18" wide so your bars where burried in the brush.
Great ride report Bryce. Look forward to the pictures. But I am guess that this Single Track is not a Single Track if you had a 4 wheeler in the group...:thinking:

Great ride report Bryce. Look forward to the pictures. But I am guess that this Single Track is not a Single Track if you had a 4 wheeler in the group...:thinking:

True it was an old road that they let grow over. The only trail was were the animals had used it. The 4 wheeler was just trying to open it back up. :devil:

thats exactly what i was thinking CDA, how did the quad get thru 18" single track?

Great rider report...riding with a new group is always "different"..You never know what it's going to be like. Sounds like you all did very well. As for the turns you said you almost went down on (soft dirt) get up on the tank, stick your foot out and give it more gas. The added weight towards the front will make the front tire bite better plus allowing the rear end to break loose a little bit allowing the front to turn! :prof:

Sorry only took a couple pictures.:cry:

Here is the top of the mountian.

Riding001.jpg

Checking out the view.

Riding002.jpg

Loading the bikes.

Riding004.jpg

Nice assist with loading the bike....:P

The view looks awsome....THE MOUNTAINS!!!!......:thumb:

haha the guy watching is the guy that owns the bike being loaded. He road it to the top and hit the tire you can see if you look really close in the back of the truck. He then proceeded to roll back out of the truck on the ramp backwards. He told the other guy to load it. :lol: I'm the smart one with my bike on the trailer in th background.:smirk: