riding in 1st place...

anyone else find it really hard? i mean when i'm behind people i'm always flying up and can easily pass them but once i'm out in front i never go that fast and get passed quick... when i do go fast i end up crashing :banghead:

Edit: i guess it's probably different on a mx track because you can hear the bikes behind you but in my desert races where everyones spread out i find it hard to find a good, fast pace

its much easier to ride second than first. You get to watch the guy ahead and know when the ruff stuff is coming or a turn or drop off. First takes a special person to ride as fast as he can, not knowing what is ahead. I too can be right on someones ass in 2nd. I can relax more in 2nd and have fun. My air filter stays clean in front tho. I like a clean filter at the end of the day.

anyone else find it really hard? i mean when i'm behind people i'm always flying up and can easily pass them but once i'm out in front i never go that fast and get passed quick... when i do go fast i end up crashing :banghead:

Edit: i guess it's probably different on a mx track because you can hear the bikes behind you but in my desert races where everyones spread out i find it hard to find a good, fast pace

You don't have to be the fastest guy around....

You just have to be the guy with the most endurance to go fast...

:thinking: Well you are talking desert racing here, so unless you are overalling the event, you will always have somebody in front of you, so you can keep moving on to the next dust trail ahead of you. If you are talking Euros where you are racing against the same class only, then I would keep the first place guy in my sights until the last few miles and then put my head down and pass him and keep hammering until the checkers. Otherwise if you move pass the guy too soon, you will always be looking over your shoulder wondering where he is and that will break your concentration which could end up in a big get off.

But if you are in a H&H and running out front, you are one fast Mo Fo....

Many make the mistake to key off the rider in front. Learn to ride your own race, pushing your personal limits.

You identified your mistake, but do not recognize your mistake. Learn to look ahead, trust me, you may think your looking ahead by keying off the rider in front of you, but your not looking ahead. Looking ahead one would look beyond and/or thru the rider your following. While he may be in your field of vision, the best riders do not focus/fixate on the rider in front. In there minds eye, they are already in front and ride by the rider as if he was not there.

When practicing, lead or fall back so the lead rider is out of view. Pursue and when the lead rider comes back in view, back off. Looking ahead slows everything down, the closer one looks, the faster one "feels". But as you note, when you get the lead, you slow. Your great at keying off riders, but you have not developed the skill to see the lines soon enough to make the best decisions to maintain the higher pace.

Another example is the rider who is riding along at his pace, in ones comfort zone. A faster rider approaches and the rider being overtaken, attempts to speed up, mistakes lead to more mistakes and each one presents a passing opportunity.

I learned a mental trick long ago racing MX. When you get the holeshot, in your minds eye, consider yourself last and that you need to ride your very best to catch up to the pack. Ride to unlap yourself, not to protect your lead.

I have ridden with many riders who can wheel suck. However, move over and follow them and the pace drops immediately, or they start making mistakes, as they try to maintain the pace of the other rider, but no longer have that rider to key off of.

thanks guys! alot of good info here! last weekend i was at the dunes and was following my buddy around mostly but then he wanted me to scout out some jumps so i took the lead... did really well and he fell behind quite a bit. He's considerably a better rider than me in the technical stuff still though but i love the sand cause you can't really do anything wrong...lol. we'll see next time we ride the dez if i can do the same with your guy's advice :thumb: