Other riding dirtbike with 1 head bolt missing?

one of the headbolts cracked and are useless from doing a head gasket job. only have 3 of the 4 headbolts in and the 2 other nuts fasted on each side. obviously its not ideal but has anyone heard of damage happening from this?

SRAD97750

Staff member
That would be a big no from me. I don't recommend it at all.

Applying torque to the head with a bolt missing is enough to ruin both the head and cylinder in one attempt.
Actually starting it and letting it heat up with only 3 of the 4 head bolts is a great way to permanently warp both the cylinder and head.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

one of the headbolts cracked and are useless from doing a head gasket job. only have 3 of the 4 headbolts in and the 2 other nuts fasted on each side. obviously its not ideal but has anyone heard of damage happening from this?
Hands up time! Have you already started and ridden it like this? Therefor prompting this question???

That would be a big no from me. I don't recommend it at all.

Applying torque to the head with a bolt missing is enough to ruin both the head and cylinder in one attempt.
Actually starting it and letting it heat up with only 3 of the 4 head bolts is a great way to permanently warp both the cylinder and head.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
:prof: :thumb:

im riding it currently like this no problems yet. if you look at the motor the front of it has a bolt which helps to secure that area where the head bolt is missing its attach to the lower head. it will probably be ok and if not i could care less because it needs valve springs and a few other things which i can buy the whole head off someone with all those parts so meh

SRAD97750

Staff member
I am a firm believer in having a bike you call your 'fuck it' bike.
The one you ride even if it is low on oil, spokes loose, and handlebars move if you do more than sit down riding. fuck it. Tow a car around the yard with it.
Falls over in the garage, you don't pick it up until it's in the way a month later. You lean other bikes against it's fairings.
One day you're out in the garage drinking and a buddy asks you about it, you fondly refer to it as your 'favorite,' but it's clearly the only one of 10 in the garage that is completely neglected. :noidea:

BUT, you wont see me talking about it online, or asking if it's 'ok' to do, cause.... fuck it

And yet it still starts and brings smiles per mile :ride: it's an old Honda after all!
I've only ever owned half a dozen bikes that I don't mind leaning on a wall tbh!
:banana: the kids Qr50 is defo one of them and only ever needs a cuddle to run,
Can't beat old jap reliability no matter colour or flavour!:thumb::ride:

Closest thing I got , 82 KDX 250 .... STILL RUNS AND RIDES , NEW TIRES , AND A FEW OTHER NEW PARTS .... Stiil, has it's own stand , does'nt get cleaned like the rest , but it's not for immediate sale .... just a beater ... but if someone is interested ..........

just took the bike out today with a new cam chain. deff needed a new chain it was almost tight enough without the chain tensioner. this thing still rips and shreads with one of the intake rockers broke i honestly dont notice a difference. still has to be reved in gear or else it dies i tried adjusting the clutch but no difference. im pretty sure the clutch plates are stuck together so im trying to leave teh clutch engaged for a few days and give it a few kicks see if it frees it up.