Ridin'

SRAD97750

Staff member
Out for a ride on tuesday and thursday.

Went to jackson lake, in wrightwood, via lone pine canyon with my dad for some fishing. Snow on the ground, nowhere to be... Just ridin'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKs5h9Ce5P0

Headed to a quick band practice for a side project, ran into some 5:00PM 215N traffic. Doesn't bother me much as lane sharing is legal in CA. Mid video there is a couple on a pitbike riding through the neighboorhood. :lol: Also, watch out for trucks... :smirk: or reach out and touch them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RfV4WUJMPg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Holy S*$t! What were you thinking lol But seriously I'll be "dad" for a minute, be careful, I've lost an uncle on a crotch rocket, and your doing some pretty crazy stunts. Don't want to lose a fellow DBA'er, all done :lol: :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
FISH EYE LENS
I'll say it again. This was a common ride for Socal. No stunts at all. I didn't even break 70mph. There wasn't even a "tight fit" in this video. Not even one asshat driver coming over into my generous lane.

I used to drive the full length of the 91 west/east everyday in traffic. NOW THAT'S CRAZY!!! :crazy: -BIG DAN:thumb:

EDIT- See trav. I told you people would go crazy over a daily commute. :moon:

FISH EYE LENS
I'll say it again. This was a common ride for Socal. No stunts at all. I didn't even break 70mph. There wasn't even a "tight fit" in this video. Not even one asshat driver coming over into my generous lane.

I used to drive the full length of the 91 west/east everyday in traffic. NOW THAT'S CRAZY!!! :crazy: -BIG DAN:thumb:

EDIT- See trav. I told you people would go crazy over a daily commute. :moon:

Tight enough for me lol Thats what she said :smirk:. But I always heard the cali people weren't too smart :smirk: :lol:

Looks like you make the best of your commutes though :thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Some states allow NO HELMETS... which is less than smart now?

I have been riding heavy traffic for 10 years. I would imagine of my 150K motorcycle miles, 50K of those were tight, nasty traffic. They say everyone will have a big crash inevitably, I've had my two. One was in traffic, the other was completely my fault on the brakes. Both accidents totaled my motorcycles and left me with permanent nerve damage. I have had some practice doing it right...

So a quick guide to lane sharing on a SPORTBIKE.

1. Never go faster than you are comfortable. You need to know what your vehicle can do in ANY situation. Stay in those limits. Start slow and work your way up to the legal limit of 10MPH over your lane of traffic. (up to the speed limit of course)

2. Read the traffic FAR and CLOSE. Every driver has a tell. Some gradually drift before merging, some jerk the opposite direction first, some check their mirrors. Practice makes perfect. Every driver has a tell. Even the one that totalled my SV1000s in 2005. I was young and dumb then and didn't notice his tell and was going too fast.

3. You can always fit between two side by side cars. Always. Drivers will not get close enough to another car where you can't fit through. Ever.
Look for paired vehicles while lane sharing. Paired vehicles will not come together or merge. Thusly a safe pass.

4. BRAKE for staggered, slowing traffic, this is the MOST LIKELY time for a dangerous merge from an unsuspecting 4wheeler.

5. Trucks are your toys. They are far to slow, cautious, and pay way too much attention to be of danger. Unless stopped ahead!!! :moon:

6. Never go faster than you are comfortable. You need to know what your vehicle can do in ANY situation. Stay in those limits.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Rule 7. Always look for your escape route!

A little math...
One CA lane is 12ft wide minimum.
One car width is 6ft.
One truck width is 10ft.

If you have a 4 lane freeway(48ft), 3 cars, and one truck across the lanes, there is a 20ft of escape path. Which is just under 50% of the lanes are clear.

50% of lanes clear at all times??????????????????????????????????????? Seems pretty open to me...