rev limiter

Is it bad to be on the rev limiter alot? if so what are the affects it can have? I hit the rev limiter in every stright and I want to make sure it isnt bad.

if your holding it on the the rev limiter then yes its bad for pretty much your whole motor. it you jus hit it for a sec its really not that bad

If you are on the ground then you really shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter. You engine makes more power at lower than max revs so shift it before you hit that limiter. Your engine wears a lot faster at higher revs than lower so not hitting that limiter will extend life as well.

James

Staff member
Like others said, you shorten the life of the engine by hitting the rev limiter all the time.

Plus to expand on what Cleo was saying, with you being on the ground (for the most part), you really shouldn't be hitting the limiter. IMO you need your gearing changed. If you're 5th gear tapped, for a distance, that extra tooth (being removed) could make a difference lap time wise.

Imagine the engine turning 3500 rpm all the time. Now imagine the engine turning 10,000 rpm all the time. :cry: What would you think would be a better life expectancy? :thinking:

James

Staff member
Imagine the engine turning 3500 rpm all the time. Now imagine the engine turning 10,000 rpm all the time. :cry: What would you think would be a better life expectancy? :thinking:
:thumb: However 3500 is almost idle for me. :P (Before somebody jumps on me, standard is actually 2000 rpm :moon:)

*clears throat* "Those always on the rev limiter either does not know how to shift and/or is afraid of endoing"
:prof: Or are called Justin Barcia. :smirk:

i'm hitting the rev limiter at the end of the stright, its there for less than a second then im scrubbing off speed and back on the gas before you can say jefohgjek;lfdhsgklasdhfglesufhdjgsdflkgjhasldugjbnafjsdfhn :smirk:

James

Staff member
Hahaha, you think they keep them in zip lock bags to swich out ever race like air filters and I? :lol:
Almost, I know that the JGR team keeps them in hard plastic cases all ready to go, just drop them in. :ride:
i'm hitting the rev limiter at the end of the stright, its there for less than a second then im scrubbing off speed and back on the gas before you can say jefohgjek;lfdhsgklasdhfglesufhdjgsdflkgjhasldugjbnafjsdfhn :smirk:
:shocked: You must be slow as it took me awhile to say that. :smirk:

Have you experimented with different sprocket sizes yet? I'd think that you'd want it to be just below the rev limiter as your power typically dies off at the top. :noidea: