Suspension Replacing KYB Fork Seals

Step 1: Loosen only the top triple clamps on your bike, then break top fork cap nut loose. Don't remove the cap, just break it loose. It will make it easier to remove once the forks are off the bike.

Step 2: Remove the forks from the bike.

Step 3: Back out the compression and rebound adjusters all the way out.
DSCF2849.jpg

Step 4: use a flat tip screw driver and carefully remove the wiper from the fork and slide it all the way down.

DSCF2850.jpg

Step 5: Using a pick or small flat tip screw driver remove retainer clip.

DSCF2857.jpg

Step 6: Remove the fork cap

DSCF2858.jpg

Step 7: Pour out the oil.

DSCF2859.jpg

Step 8: Pull down the spring and slide a wrench on the spanner nut and break it loose and remove the cap from the damper rod assembly.

DSCF2862.jpg

Step 9: Remove the spring and damper center rod.

DSCF2863.jpg

Step 10: Work the damper assembly up and down, pumping oil out of the center assembly. Pour out the oil and repeat several times until the damper assembly pumps dry. You will tell when it is empty. It will very easy to work up and down and you will hear it sucking air.

DSCF2865.jpg

DSCF2869.jpg

Step 11: Pull the outer fork housing off the fork tube. It takes alittle force separate them.

Step 12: Remove the Inner bushing, outer bushing, washer, oil seal, retainer clip and finally the wiper.

DSCF2870.jpg

DSCF2871.jpg

DSCF2872.jpg

DSCF2873.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2875.jpg

Pay attention to how these come off they will need to go back on in the same order. Now that you have it apart inspect your bushings and clean all of your parts and fork tubes.

Special Tools needed: Seal Driver, seal bullet, fork oil level tool
*** you can get by without these tools but will need to manufacture you own tools. (I'll Explain this later in the thread)

Step 1: Use your seal bullet to cover the end of the fork tube. Those edges are very Sharp and will cut your wiper and oil seal. *** I used black electrical tape.

DSCF2876.jpg

DSCF2877.jpg

Step 2: Apply some oil to the inside of the wiper and slide carefully over the seal bullet or tape in my case.

DSCF2878.jpg

DSCF2879.jpg

Step 3: install the retainer clip.

DSCF2880.jpg

Step 4: Apply some oil to the inside of the oil seal and slide over the bullet again tape in my case.

DSCF2881.jpg

Step 5: Remove the seal bullet or tape and install the washer, outer bushing and inner bushing.

DSCF2882.jpg

DSCF2884.jpg

Step 6: Use your seal driver to drive in the outer bushing in then use the driver to drive in the oil seal. Sorry couldn't get pics of this. I used this rubber boot and a hose clamp to hold it onto the fork tube and used the slide action of the outer fork tube to install the bushing and oil seal. You can also use a 4'' long peace of 2'' PVC pipe cut in have to wrapped around the fork and use a hose clamp to hold around the fork.

DSCF2887.jpg

Step 7: Install the retainer clip and push the wiper on with hand (no driver needed for wiper)

Step 8: Collapse the fork all way down and fill to the top with oil. Work the damper assembly up and down several times pumping the oil into the assembly. You will have to keep adding oil You will know its full when the oil level stops decreasing.

DSCF2867.jpg

Step 8: You will need to look in your manual to determine the oil level specific to each manufacture. My oil level for my bike is 100mm with no spring and damper all the way down. Set your oil level tool to the amount specified in you manual and remove oil until it starts sucking air. *** I used a piece of fuel line hose measure about 2'' inches longer than 100mm. I then wrapped some electrical tape at 100mm and set a washer up to the tape and then inserted the hose down to the washer touched the fork. I then used a turkey baster to remove the oil down to 100mm below the top of the fork.

DSCF2886.jpg

Step 9: Install the damper center rod and spring.

DSCF2864.jpg

Step 10: Install the cap back onto the damper Assembly then install back into the tube.

DSCF2861.jpg

Now you can set you rebound and compression adjusters back to factory setting or where you had them at before. Install the forks back into your bike and tighten the bottom clamps first then tighten down the fork caps. Now you can finish the rest. Ride and enjoy :ride: