Replace or Convert

I have been checking out several threads on here regarding dirt bikes and sizes but I can not find the information I am looking for in my situation. My son needs an upgrade. I was thinking of converting his 150R to the big wheel which takes some time and money but then it is still going to be smaller than the normal bike. Maybe it would be better to get a different bike altogether, a larger one. The problem is he weighs 125lbs now and he is only 5' 1". :smirk: I feel the 150R is under powered for his weight but he is too short for anything else. :thinking: I see some of you have lowered bikes so they fit the rider but I worry a 250 might be too much power for him. I have had him on every bike known as he has grown up, since he was 7 and now he is 14 so he has experience on two wheels, however, he is not a dare devil throttle jockey by any means. I am sure if he has more power and bigger wheels he will be a much happier rider, especially in those sand washes. :lol: I tend to shy away from 2 strokes because we like the smooth power of the 4's but that may be negotiated. What are your thoughts?

I have been checking out several threads on here regarding dirt bikes and sizes but I can not find the information I am looking for in my situation. My son needs an upgrade. I was thinking of converting his 150R to the big wheel which takes some time and money but then it is still going to be smaller than the normal bike. Maybe it would be better to get a different bike altogether, a larger one. The problem is he weighs 125lbs now and he is only 5' 1". :smirk: I feel the 150R is under powered for his weight but he is too short for anything else. :thinking: I see some of you have lowered bikes so they fit the rider but I worry a 250 might be too much power for him. I have had him on every bike known as he has grown up, since he was 7 and now he is 14 so he has experience on two wheels, however, he is not a dare devil throttle jockey by any means. I am sure if he has more power and bigger wheels he will be a much happier rider, especially in those sand washes. :lol: I tend to shy away from 2 strokes because we like the smooth power of the 4's but that may be negotiated. What are your thoughts?
Whatever your choice, your son will grow like a weed in the next few years. Keep that in mind when you buy what you are going to buy. I have been thru this with my son too. Tough decision, but don't undersize him. My son started on TTR 125, then a Honda 230f to a WR250f to a YZ 450f now. The time of transitions from bike to bike happened quicker as he upgraded too. He was about your son's size at your age too. Now he is 6'0'' and 190 lbs. of solid testosterone and 17 1/2 years old too. Good luck.:ride:

Well, from what I see the 150RB vs the 150r is only 2in difference on the seat height. Not really worth the investment in my eyes. I know you don't want to go two stroke because of the 4stroke lugging capabilities but the KTM have 2 stroke models that are geared for endural type terrain. I wouldn't be to hesitant to put him on a 125 or 150 KTM EXC plus these bikes are only 20 to 30lbs more than crf150 are not as heavy as say the 250x wr250s by about 20 to 30 lbs. Those bike has plenty of power and will last him for sometime. He will need to learn throttle control but he'll have to do that on any bike you put him on next. Really the only thing I can think of you go to before stepping up to a 250f is something like a XR200 or crf230 which are heavy pigs and I don't think he will like that after being on the more snappier 150r.

Well, from what I see the 150RB vs the 150r is only 2in difference on the seat height. Not really worth the investment in my eyes. I know you don't want to go two stroke because of the 4stroke lugging capabilities but the KTM have 2 stroke models that are geared for endural type terrain. I wouldn't be to hesitant to put him on a 125 or 150 KTM EXC plus these bikes are only 20 to 30lbs more than crf150 are not as heavy as say the 250x wr250s by about 20 to 30 lbs. Those bike has plenty of power and will last him for sometime. He will need to learn throttle control but he'll have to do that on any bike you put him on next. Really the only thing I can think of you go to before stepping up to a 250f is something like a XR200 or crf230 which are heavy pigs and I don't think he will like that after being on the more snappier 150r.

I wouldn't recommend the 230. I may just be me but I was not impressed with the suspension, or power, and they are heavy. Heck you may as well get the 250 and lower it if your going to go to a 230. But I'm afraid his height is still going to be an issue on the lowered 250. I know you have a 150 already and were looking at going to the bigger tires, that would also mean different gearing, swing arms, (Not sure about brake hoses) but seems like a lot to change for little gain. Almost be better off in my mind selling the bike then buying a big wheel. I have been talking to a few people that have them that are over the 125 mark and they say the run very well. So I guess its up to the rider. I was looking and the weight to horse power ratio is pretty good on that bike. Could you maybe pump it up a little for him when you go to the big wheel? Let him grow a little more then maybe jump him to a 250?

Are you asking me? :lol: :lol: Ok, so P841 JR JR is to light sometimes to kick the YZ250 over :smirk: But he has no problem riding it, in fact he rips :ride: Now, if you would like, I have a CRF230F that little bit could try if you like, It is powered up and has the awesome USD conversion with a Works rear shock on it. JR JR loved the way it is set up and could rip on it as well. No, it is not for sale yet, but you could check if he likes it. My boys just like 2T better and I let them go with it. Not sure if we sized up our 14yo boys last weekend but I don't thik Joe breaks 100 lbs. Thats why the high compression YZ is hard on the little man. :prof: What does little bit think, pick his brain.

My Son was doing the "I need a new bike every couple years" thing also. We went from the 150RB, to a 01 WR250, and I thought (and so did he), this bike is way too big. A lowering link brought it closer in heigth for him, but just riding it more, and getting used to everything made him a better rider faster. I would go with a 250 4 stroke, I bet he'll suprise you in no time at all. :ride:

Buy the 250 4T. My son started on a PW50 when he was 4 and went to a KX65 to YZ85. When he was wide open on the 85, I was going to get him a YZ125, but he was too short for how pipey they are and I did not want him to soil sample all the time in the tight rocky sections because of the snap and short legs which would then make him frustrated. So I went with a YZ250F when he was 14. It was tall, but since he could lug it through stuff and not stall, he gained confidence. He rode that for 2 years and then wanted to get back on a 2 stroke, so I bought my 450 and rebuilt my YZ250 smoker and gave it to him. He is the happiest kid around now. With the added years of riding the 4 stroke and learning balance and throttle control, he adapted to 2 stroke pretty well. We did need to change the gearing back to stock since I had it geared a little tall at first, but now he is back to the taller gearing.

If you have the ability to ride a friends bike, you should take advantage and see how he looks on it while riding.

125exc is basically non existent in usa
The 150xc is a very hot bike, very close to mx power (only slightly different than 150sx) It is a somewhat on/off power band, compared to most enduro 2 strokes. The 200 on the other hand has much more down low, with about the same peak hp, making it easier to ride.

That is the main problem here. Your son is tall and can handle the big bike, even though he is light. My boy is a shrimp in the height dept. I may take him down to a bike store where they carry many makes and models and let him sit on a few just to see how the fit. Thanks for all the info you guys have given me. :thumb:
Are you asking me? :lol: :lol: Ok, so P841 JR JR is to light sometimes to kick the YZ250 over :smirk: But he has no problem riding it, in fact he rips :ride: Now, if you would like, I have a CRF230F that little bit could try if you like, It is powered up and has the awesome USD conversion with a Works rear shock on it. JR JR loved the way it is set up and could rip on it as well. No, it is not for sale yet, but you could check if he likes it. My boys just like 2T better and I let them go with it. Not sure if we sized up our 14yo boys last weekend but I don't thik Joe breaks 100 lbs. Thats why the high compression YZ is hard on the little man. :prof: What does little bit think, pick his brain.

230 are turds and way heavy
KTMs are very tall but powerful
4st 250 is heavy compared to a 2st 125
get a bike with linkage and its much easier/cheaper to lower it

Ive been thru this. If you want to do it, I too would get a full size bike, 125 or 250F, and have it shortened a couple of inches and then when he gets taller in a couple of years put suspesion back to stock and freshen the motor. Withj a non-KTM you get linkage and the links make it very easy to lower. The forks have to be done professionally tho or it wont be right. Probly looking at $500 for links, front shorten and valve and correct springs for his lite weight.