Other Repairing Bike Abuse On My Poor Xr.

If my bike were human I'd be serving a long term for repeated assault and battery.

Well I took my seat off to do a little work and I found that the subframe crossmember was pretty badly cracked. The pics just don't do it justice. It was just hanging by a thread on one side and cracked half way through on the other.

I think this is about the fifth time a welder has been brought in to fix something on this frame.

I'm holding the new piece of metal that I'll be welding to the bottom of the cross member.
welded subframe cross member 004.jpg

The piece that I'm adding laying in front.
welded subframe cross member 003.jpg

Done. Hey not my best work, but I'm sure that it's stronger than it was before. A little wet newspaper to protect things.
welded subframe cross member 005.jpg
welded subframe cross member 008.jpg
welded subframe cross member 009.jpg
welded subframe cross member 010.jpg

A little paint
welded subframe cross member 012.jpg

If my bike were human I'd be serving a long term for repeated assault and battery.

Well I took my seat off to do a little work and I found that the subframe crossmember was pretty badly cracked. The pics just don't do it justice. It was just hanging by a thread on one side and cracked half way through on the other.

I think this is about the fifth time a welder has been brought in to fix something on this frame.

I'm holding the new piece of metal that I'll be welding to the bottom of the cross member.
View attachment 2504

The piece that I'm adding laying in front.
View attachment 2505

Done. Hey not my best work, but I'm sure that it's stronger than it was before. A little wet newspaper to protect things.
View attachment 2506
View attachment 2507
View attachment 2508
View attachment 2509

A little paint
View attachment 2510
Time to bring the Big Red Pig to the dez for Easter:thumb:

I do some welding now and then and this looks decent. Those angles are not easy ones to weld. :thumb: Why would Palmer say you need to stand more when you ride. :thinking:

You just need to stand more when you ride. :smirk:

Looks like you are good to go! You going to do as Geek stated?

Stand more? I've already had to break out the welder on both foot peg mounts. :lol:

I'm trying to get Friday off so I can do more than a day ride. I have to be home on Sunday. So if things work out it will be a Friday-Saturday and maybe even Thursday night.

I do some welding now and then and this looks decent. Those angles are not easy ones to weld. :thumb: Why would Palmer say you need to stand more when you ride. :thinking:

I used the gas welder on this one. I have a Lincoln buzzbox, but it's a bit tough to use on thinner metal like this. There will be an addition to this thread tonight as I found a crack in my pipe this morning. Good thing I didn't put everything away last night.