Red or Green?

Which makes it even scarier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't CARB the one that's currently making new regulations in CA?

Yes that is correct. However, they are not just running around making insane regs on their own. The feds leaned and leaned hard on California to clean up the air. In an unusual moment of clarity the legislature realized that they cound never deal with the complex issues involved. Instead CARB was formed. This is actually a good thing because if the legislature was running the show it would way way worse than it is with CARB. CARB was saddled with the mission of cleaning up the air. They did this by spreading the pain around. Compared to things like stationary engines, motorcycles have gotten off relatively easy. If you take a car from 1970 to now vs a bike, the cars have cleaned up many times more than a bike. Cars got fuel injection to meet smog regs. Bikes are just now getting them, but it's more for preformance than meeting smog.

Like any other gear head I don't really like it. However, as a resident of Los Angeles county I do appreciate the cleaner air. The air here is so much cleaner today than it was on my first visit to the LA area in the the early 70's.

Yes that is correct. However, they are not just running around making insane regs on their own. The feds leaned and leaned hard on California to clean up the air. In an unusual moment of clarity the legislature realized that they cound never deal with the complex issues involved. Instead CARB was formed. This is actually a good thing because if the legislature was running the show it would way way worse than it is with CARB. CARB was saddled with the mission of cleaning up the air. They did this by spreading the pain around. Compared to things like stationary engines, motorcycles have gotten off relatively easy. If you take a car from 1970 to now vs a bike, the cars have cleaned up many times more than a bike. Cars got fuel injection to meet smog regs. Bikes are just now getting them, but it's more for preformance than meeting smog.

Like any other gear head I don't really like it. However, as a resident of Los Angeles county I do appreciate the cleaner air. The air here is so much cleaner today than it was on my first visit to the LA area in the the early 70's.

i dont live in LA anymore but i was born and raised there and it seems just as bad as ever to me.

sad story... a friend of my wife was going to college in Azusa and she never even knew there was the mountain line there :picard:

Guys you talk about red and green stickers alot on here and in Idaho we don't have anything like that so what are you talking about?

What bikes are red stickered and what are green?

Fill me in on what you people are talkin about.

2002 and older in Cally are exempt. Red sticker means you can not ride it in June, July and August. Green sticker bikes, you can. How does one know if he has a red or green. The 8th digit in the VIN, if its a "C" or a "3", its red sticker.