Race Video......would you buy it?

Okay guys I have been shooting still photos at the races and selling them. Would you buy a 20-30 minute video of the race. If you raced in it? I'm thinking of not doing still photos and taking my big video camera. Would you rather have still photos or video if you were racing? What would you pay for a 20-30 minute video? (May be longer all depends on the video I get)

I'm thinking an introduction, walking through the pits, seeing everyone getting ready. In and out of drivers meeting, then the start of the race. Then periodic sections of the race. Maybe 50 or so bikes through each section. I would try to hit 3-4 sections and get 50+ bikes at each one. Then back to the awards and prizes and wind it down with people loading and rolling out?

What would you think? I will probably build a teaser for people to preview and hopefully sell them on it.:thinking:

Remember this is Hare and hound race. 100 miles in the desert.

James

Staff member
The obvious question being of course "cost", if it's a reasonable enough price, sure. What's a reasonable cost you ask? :noidea: I personally probably wouldn't pay more then the cost of a movie at the store. UNLESS the video was only about me and no one else. But like you said with it being a Hare & Hound, you aren't going to get that much footage of just one rider.

:noidea: My .02's

Yeah I'm not sure on the price. Some guys are saying they would want it to critic other riders and maybe use it to learn, others say they would love it. I can't see selling them for more then $15 max. I'm actually kicking around the $10 figure.

I thought more people would comment on this.
I'm just trying to figure out if I would make more money on my stills or video.:thinking:

James

Staff member
Yeah I'm not sure on the price. Some guys are saying they would want it to critic other riders and maybe use it to learn, others say they would love it. I can't see selling them for more then $15 max. I'm actually kicking around the $10 figure.

I thought more people would comment on this.
I'm just trying to figure out if I would make more money on my stills or video.:thinking:
If it was a 1/2 half movie shot sort of like Curtis74 and (I believe) the big kx's were then yeah I'd buy it for $10-15. The problem being though will it be profitable, cause I'm sure that you'll have a lot of man hours put into it.

Well i replied a minute ago and it didn't take. James, damnit,,, come fix my computer.:bonk:

Anyway, what I had typed all out in short is I would buy one for 10 or 15. Be nice to have something to show your grandkids.

If it was a 1/2 half movie shot sort of like Curtis74 and (I believe) the big kx's were then yeah I'd buy it for $10-15. The problem being though will it be profitable, cause I'm sure that you'll have a lot of man hours put into it.

Video and still require about the same man hours. Actually I think the video may require less. But I'm thinking I would have to sell about 30 of them. With 100-150 racers I wouldn't think that would be a problem but I just don't know for sure. I guess there is only one way to find out.

If you are filming desert racing you should see if the club that runs it would like you to make a video. Im sure they would pay you to make a video that they could put on there website to promote there series.

Well I had the answer I needed when I got to the race. The dust and sand was sooo bad there was no way in heck I was going to ruin my camera for a video. It was a bad race. I think only about 3/4 finished. When I left at 5pm (Race started at 11am) they had 6 bikes broke down across the desert, they had 4 bikes come in with flats, one fire, hauled out 2-3 people for injuries and they were still waiting on 5 riders.:shocked: Oh yeah and the thunderstorm was starting. The trails were so bad I took it easy and stayed fairly close and photographed some sand washes and such. I can't wait to get some pictures processed for you guys.:thumb:

Well I had the answer I needed when I got to the race. The dust and sand was sooo bad there was no way in heck I was going to ruin my camera for a video. It was a bad race. I think only about 3/4 finished. When I left at 5pm (Race started at 11am) they had 6 bikes broke down across the desert, they had 4 bikes come in with flats, one fire, hauled out 2-3 people for injuries and they were still waiting on 5 riders.:shocked: Oh yeah and the thunderstorm was starting. The trails were so bad I took it easy and stayed fairly close and photographed some sand washes and such. I can't wait to get some pictures processed for you guys.:thumb:
Sounds like a typical desert race weekend to me...:thumb:

how and who are you tryin to get to buy them? are you going to the races and getting people you see to buy them or are you planning to advertize on the web, think that that would be a question i would ask myself if i where going to sell video and make some sort of cash, so many question so little time:smirk::banana:

how and who are you tryin to get to buy them? are you going to the races and getting people you see to buy them or are you planning to advertize on the web, think that that would be a question i would ask myself if i where going to sell video and make some sort of cash, so many question so little time:smirk::banana:

Well it kinda sucked there is damand for the video. People seen my set up and asked where they can get video.:doh: The crappy thing is I'm going to destroy a $1800+ Camera doing it if its dusty like this weekend.:cry: So I think my plan is to dump my 2001 WR cheap and put that towards a sealed camera with shoots HD. That will allow me to keep from destroying my other camera (Its not sealed) Also my lenses off my still camera will work on it so I will have more lens options. I kinda asked around the race and people said if they are in the video they will buy it even if its only a few seconds of them.:thinking: But they also said they want the still stuff too.:banghead: I may have to start paying someone to help me.:rant:

hey, you can pay me to go to races to take pic's all day!!!:thumb: sounds like fun:prof:

It is to people that are into it. My wife gets bored watching 100+ bikes. :lol:

One of these days I'm going to get run over. I'm always trying to get a better shot and laying in the trail then jumping out of the way. My wife says I'm nuts....but it SELLS!