RM125 quick question about adjusting power valves on a 01 RM125

What gearing are you running?
You can add 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket to gain low end response.
Also, remember to feather out the clutch on starts. These are very high reving engines, but they don't have much torque. Don't just drop the clutch at the start.
Paw Paw

I'll take a look at the front sprocket today...I know the rear is a 49.....
I am feathering the clutch keeping the RPM's high...If I just dump the clutch it will just stall....

It's been raining here in Michigan for days with no signs of letting up until next Thursday (says the weather man). First chance I get, my son, myself and my video camera will get out there and take some videos and see how it's running now...(see below)

yesterday was just too wet/rainy and nasty to take it out so I messed around in the garage...
I took the side cover off and discovered the power-valves were not even working??? (zero tension on the spring)

so I re-adjusted them to the stock settings...one full turn (clockwise) from no tension on the spring and they are now working when I blip the throttle....

Hoping that was my problem but won't know till I can get out there and ride it....
(If we get a break in the rain today I'll be taking it out)

I'll keep you all updated....(with the power-valves not working at all I assume/hope that could of been my problem)???

I'll take a look at the front sprocket today...I know the rear is a 49.....
I am feathering the clutch keeping the RPM's high...If I just dump the clutch it will just stall....

It's been raining here in Michigan for days with no signs of letting up until next Thursday (says the weather man). First chance I get, my son, myself and my video camera will get out there and take some videos and see how it's running now...(see below)

yesterday was just too wet/rainy and nasty to take it out so I messed around in the garage...
I took the side cover off and discovered the power-valves were not even working??? (zero tension on the spring)

so I re-adjusted them to the stock settings...one full turn (clockwise) from no tension on the spring and they are now working when I blip the throttle....

Hoping that was my problem but won't know till I can get out there and ride it....
(If we get a break in the rain today I'll be taking it out)

I'll keep you all updated....(with the power-valves not working at all I assume/hope that could of been my problem)???

Yes that could be the problem or just part of it. Also being too lean or too rich will cause this problem as well.

Yes that could be the problem or just part of it. Also being too lean or too rich will cause this problem as well.

weather man say's we're supposed to get a break in the rainy weather tomorrow. So I will be taking it out for a ride....I will for sure post the results and a video so you can all see/hear what I'm talking about.... as long as the rain holds out.....we've been getting flooded with rain here in Michigan....

To me it sounds like it's super lean somewhere but he also said the powervalve wasn't set properly either. More so since it rips when he's actually riding.

Sorry for the long delay I been out of state due to a family emergency....

anyways, I got the bike out today and took a few videos
(sorry for the bad videos...had the camera strap around my wrist and the camera swinging in the wind while riding)

If i run the bike with the stock 27.5 pilot jet it runs like total crap until 1/4 throttle then runs fine.....
I have the needle clip in the middle stock position...

I dropped down one size to a 25 pilot jet and it runs so much better but it has a "crackle" at the 1/8 throttle position, it clears up instantly once past the 1/8 throttle position...
from idle to the 1/8 position it's a dog sled (powerless) I'd even say it has a "bog" from idle to the crackle (1/8 throttle)...but if I richen the pilot jet to the stock 27.5 it runs worse till after 1/4 throttle???

hold it at 1/8 throttle like I did in the videos (don't matter what gear)it crackles at 1/8 throttle....before or after the 1/8th throttle position it don't crackle but anything less than 1/8 I'd say it "bogs" and is powerless...

video 1....
from start to 12 seconds you can here it crackle then I roll the throttle at 12 seconds and it clears right up....
and 19 to 21 seconds you can really hear it crackle then I get on it just a bit more at about 22 seconds and it clears right up.....

http://vid1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Immortalized1968/My Movie_zpszkdlu03e.mp4

2nd video...
at the 3 and 4 second mark you can hear the crackle then it clears up once past that 1/8 throttle position.....then again at the 12 through 18 second mark you can hear it....

http://vid1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Immortalized1968/My Movie2_zpsmvrirnac.mp4

3rd video....
from start to about 9 seconds ( 9 seconds is when I roll the throttle) you hear it crackle then I get on it and it clears up.....

http://vid1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Immortalized1968/My Movie3_zpsxgxxak0h.mp4

what do you all think my next step should be?

It does run much better up top now that I have the power valve (exhaust valve) set to factory settings and they are now working like they should be....

Take a listen to the video and let me know what you think.....(again, sorry for the bad video's it might be easier to listen and not watch them)
and I hope you can all hear what I'm hearing....

It sounds pretty good. That thing really does need to be at 13000 Rpm's though to produce power. It might even be a bit lean. @James post a 125 video for this dude. :smirk:

yeah, as long as I throttle right past that 1/8 throttle spot I have no issues with it ( I only get the "crackle" sound if I try to cruise around at 1/8 throttle...the bikes not made for that) .....but like I said if I go up one size to the stock 27.5 pilot jet it runs like crap for the first 1/4 throttle(way to rich).....maybe I'll drop that needle clip one spot to make it a bit richer on the needle and see if that helps....My son is happy with it like it is...( It's his bike)15 years old and about 100 pounds lighter than myself :ride: so to him it's like riding a rocket....If the needle clip don't help I think I'll just call it good for awhile and get my son practicing on feathering that clutch :thumb:

Thanks again for everyone's help/opinions....
I'll be sure to pop back in with a update if messing with the needle clip helps any....

Thanks again everyone!!!

yeah, as long as I throttle right past that 1/8 throttle spot I have no issues with it ( I only get the "crackle" sound if I try to cruise around at 1/8 throttle...the bikes not made for that) .....but like I said if I go up one size to the stock 27.5 pilot jet it runs like crap for the first 1/4 throttle(way to rich).....maybe I'll drop that needle clip one spot to make it a bit richer on the needle and see if that helps....My son is happy with it like it is...( It's his bike)15 years old and about 100 pounds lighter than myself :ride: so to him it's like riding a rocket....If the needle clip don't help I think I'll just call it good for awhile and get my son practicing on feathering that clutch :thumb:

Thanks again for everyone's help/opinions....
I'll be sure to pop back in with a update if messing with the needle clip helps any....

Thanks again everyone!!!

That little crackle is the reeds fluttering. Normal for 2t race bikes. You'll never get rid of it.