50 PW50 Oil pump problem

Hi all... My daughter's P-dub had been fouling plugs..This is a video explaining why... The oil pump itself had been getting hung up do to dirt and grime. Would not close properly. I bought a block off and removed the pump. This may not have been necessary. After I removed the pump I sprayed the mechanism and cleaned it. It seems to be working good now. I still have the block off on the bike but the pump mechanism moves freely now. Just something to try before investing the block off.
https://youtu.be/ZkFiiq3Xbng

Hey bud, I have the Honda version, a 1985 QR50R great little bikes the pw and the qr huh

Oh yeah.... Practically bullet proof.. I picked it up recently and have been bringing back to top condition again.. The steering stem bearings were sloppy so I just replaced those, two new tires, and removed the oil pump. It runs so much better now. Glad I did it....

Yup I'm due to rebuild the little thing too! My eldest had a PW50 then the pw80 then onto a yz80,
I even took the pw50 to the isle of man TT 2006 for a campsite ride and ended up all over the island on it lol
I will try to find a pic!
Can't post it from my iPad so here it is,
image%3A8991.jpg
Here's the qr50,
bikepics-2723979-984.jpg

Last edited:
I think Canada got the QR50 direct in honda showrooms but strangely not the U.S.:noidea:
On the QR the oil is filled into the top frame tube via a little oil cap in front of the fuel tank:thumb:, built in rust inhibitor :smirk:

My sons DS80 had that oil pump thing. I just let it run dry then mixed the oil into the gas like the bigger 2T's, worked fine.

@Red - I didn't know they made a QR, that thing is sweet!!

Need the block off or you'll end up with an air leak. Up until now I only ever heard of one oil inj failure. Seams like today there's a bunch.

Need the block off or you'll end up with an air leak. Up until now I only ever heard of one oil inj failure. Seams like today there's a bunch.

I think with a lot of these problems, if the pumps were better lubed, or maintained better with WD40 every month or so. The sticky pump problem would go away. I just didn't figure it out until I removed it.