250 Pro Circuit 304 Silencer Repack

Hi guys,

Anyone have experience repacking a Pro Circuit 304 silencer? One end of the can has rivets and the other just some hex bolts. I watched a couple of guys on YouTube repack the R304 and it looks to be a similar setup; it seems that it's only necessary to remove the hex bolts and pull the core out.

Anyone have actual experience with this? I just want to make sure I don't try to rip the thing apart for repacking to find out I needed to drill out the rivets.

Thanks!

Thanks for confirming that for me. Btw, dead blow hammer worked like a charm. I definitely tested my might by try to pull it apart.. No go :) Two solid cracks with the dead blow and it was easily free.

IMG_0690.JPG

Looks like that packing was long overdue... I ran 15:1 recently to break in the new top-end, but I'm not sure that it would make the packing look like this:
IMG_0691.JPG

Anyway, also looks like the mesh is a bit plugged up:
IMG_0693.JPG

Any tips on cleaning that up? Should I drill out where the covered holes are?

Thanks again!

Yes, clean out those holes. The unit will work better.

Paw Paw

Thanks, I guess my question is more on the how to clean them up. My instinct tells me to take a small drill bit and go through the holes, but I'm not sure if that's a crazy approach (or if there is a better one). Not to mention, I have a feeling going one by one with a drill may take a while... If that's the way to go though, that's what I'll probably be doing over the next couple of days :)

I just repacked my boys CR80 tonight, got the packing from RMATV in 2 days for $3.99, a 12x15 piece.
I cut the piece into 12x7.5, rolled it up, and have another for next time.
The old stuff was very crusty/solid around where it wrapped closest around the pipe, and there were some plugged holes.
I just took a very sharp edged screwdriver and screwed/scraped out the holes from the top side in a spiral fashion (probably 15 or so), then washed it down with some carb cleaner and compressed air. Also took that same screwdriver and scraped off any hard stuff, rewashed it down, then once they were all "clean enough" I rolled the packing up and had the kiddo handle some masking tape to hold it in place in 3 equally spaced areas (both ends and the middle), then shoved it back into to tube. I cleaned the tube prior to reassembly though, and used some hi-temp black rtv on the end side mating surface and ran it.
It is now much quieter now and sounds good.

Last edited:
Great, wire brush and a bit of contact cleaner seems to have worked just fine :)

IMG_0696.JPG

After the better part of an hour from scrubbing, looks like I was able to unclog all the holes I noticed that were plugged up.

Just finished the repacking this evening-- will probably start it up on Saturday morning. It's too cold here today :( About 20 degrees here today and tomorrow, but supposed to be upper 50's on Saturday.

I would expect that it will work just fine.
Before tonight I had never done one before, but afterward the exhaust sound was more like what it should sound like.
I doubt you could screw it up badly, it's a simple job IMO.

In my case the rap from the exhaust was so loud I couldn't hear anything else, so I figured I should quiet that down before I took the cr80 out for a ride and burnt it down right after a fresh top & bottom rebuild because I couldn't hear a possible problem.
When I took off the inner part of the packing that rested against the perforated tube, it was super solid and crusty. I knew I was on the right track when I saw that.