250 please help!!!! looked everywhere on the net and cant find anwser!!!!!

i bought a 93 yz250 a few months ago..and it runs good im have a full fmf exhaust setup...
a fmf fatty gold series pipe and a fmf powercore 2 silencer.
my question is.....
i just cleaned the carb out very well and seen it had a
45 pilot jet and a
450 main jet.. which seems way to big to me but it runs gr8 on the top end
but the low rpms suffer dosent bog out it almost feels like the power is cutting in and out...
its not consistent is the best way i can put it...and PLZ correct me if im wrong the 45 pilot jet
is part of what controls the low end..

basially all im askin if anyone knows the typical jetting that would go well with the fmf setup i have?

and i checked the reeds they are in good cond to my suprise lol..
im runnin 40:1 premix..93 octane

needle clip in 2nd position i had some spooge comin out silencer

and a ngk 8 plug also curious if neone thinks a 7 would b bettter or worse???

Oh YEAH and i put the carb back on and now it wont start!!!!!
but im pretty sure its the float level im gonna mess with it when i wake up
but THANK U in advance if u can help me u would be saving me a nuclear meltdown lol
for a 93 its lookin good...it was a real piece o crap b4 i got it..did alot of custom work to it
i think the seat cover i made looks gr8 let me know if u wanna see pics of the bike!!!

Well for starters welcome to DBA.

So when you say that the motor sounds like its cutting out on the bottom end does it clean up about mid throttle? If so you may be a little fat on the bottom end. So I would pick up a couple of pilot jets smaller. Say like a 43 or a 42.5 and a 42. That should clean up that cutting in and out. Now if it were starting out with quick power and quickly falling of its face your too lean.

Now on to your spark plug and pre mix ratio. Do you have a manual? If you dont, get one. Not a Haynes or a Chilton, A factory manual that will come with the bike if you were to have purchased it new. It will tell you what type of spark plug you should be running, and what oil pre mix ratio you should be running. Along with a bunch of important other stuff.

As for you spooge issue. Its a fact of life with 2 stroke bikes. My bike is jetted perfectly right now for my elevation and the expected day time temps. Yet it still makes spooge. Not very much but it makes it. Bear in mind that it really doesnt hurt anything but it does make a mess. Unless your way too rich and then you risk fouling plugs. The reason you get spooge is caused by a few thing, a rich condition and or the engine it not operating at its full temperature. By not operating at its full temperature when the combustion cycle happens it doesnt consume all of the fuel oil mixture. Well that fuel oil mixture that is left in the cylinder gets pushed out on the exhaust stroke and makes its way out to your silencer tip. But before it does that it gets absorbed in your silencer packing reducing performance, increasing the decible level of you exhaust note. Neither of those things are good. What do you do to cure this. You can lean your jetting, experiment with your jet needle setting, and adjust your air screw, to get the bike operating the way its supposed to. Remember when I talked about operating temperature? Well your bike, along with mine and pretty much every other 2 stroke dirt bike that was designed for racing (KEY WORD RACING) are designed to be operated like your racing it. Wide open throttle. Well I dont know about you but Im too damn old to be riding at wide open throttle all the time. So I am very particular about my jetting. Finding that sweet spot will take you a little time and a little money in assorted jets to get it figured out. You asked if there is a particular jetting set up with what you have. Yes there is but you have to find it. Because your set up will be different than mine. 2 stroke bikes are very particular about how well they run and perform based off of your current jetting and the out side temperature and elevation. So you could get your bike jetted perfectly in the morning (50 degrees) and by mid day (85 degrees) its not running like crap but isnt as good as it was in the morning. Elevation is a big time factor too. ALL BIKES that are sold new (unless you specify other wise) are jetted for sea level. Typically sea level is 0 feet above the ocean to about 1500 maybe 2000 ft above sea level. If you live with in that range your bike should run great on the stock jetting at say 60-70 degrees. If it gets warmer than that you may have to rejet a little bit. Ok Ive covered what to do with your jetting.

This is what you should not do with your jetting. Increase or decrease your pre mix ratio to get the bike to run right. Yamaha engineers spent alot of time designing that bike to make it run at peak performance all the time. They have figured out exactly how much oil is required to be mixed with a gallon of gas to provide the right amount of lubrication for you piston and cylinder. I cannot say for sure exactly what your bike requires for a pre mix ratio, because I dont know. However I can be fairly certain that based on the age and displacement of your bike (same as mine) that your Pre Mix ratio should be 32:1. If you run a leaner oil mix your gonna hurt your engine. If you run a richer mix your just wasting oil.

So let me reiterate briefly

Yes the pilot jet controls, the low end of your throttle control. Yes there is a magic jetting solution. Unfortunately all bikes, riding condition, rider style, and envronment are gonna be different. So your going to have to figure it out on your own by trial and error. (side note) once you get carb sorted out and the bike running and your start to get your jetting dialed in. Make sure that the bike is up to temperature, and have some extra plugs. Speaking of plugs. There really arent any magic spark plugs either. Find out what Yamaha says is supposed to be in your bike and run with that. You can also do some searching for alternate plugs. However................. your engine will run best when properly jetted with the spark plug that Yamaha recommends. Oh and dont be afraid of a little spooge. Now if its dripping off your exhaust and making a mess on your garage floor. Be afraid. Also. How fresh is the top end? A worn out top end will cause poor starting and a rich condition. A worn out cylinder with a fresh top end will do the same thing. So like I said its a lot of trail and error.

Im not the smartest 2 stroke mechanic, and I dont know everything. Some of the stuff I put in this I learned from real 2 stroke mechanics, some of it I read in forums like this, some of it I learned by trial and error, and personal experience. If I didnt believe any of what I posted here to be true or factual information I would not have posted it. If you have any more problems let us know. There are lots more guys in here that are smarter than I about alot of things 2 stroke.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Content/Instructions/Jetting/YZ250 jetting (000346).pdf

The pilot only controls the very bottom, like idle to barely cracked. From there it is all about the needle until you are wide open. Don't forget about your airscrew as well.

Do 93's have a powervalve? If so, is it in good working order? If it was sticking, that would explain a lot.

COLORED%20METERING.JPG

LOL HOLY CRAP ALL thx for all the fast detailed help!!!! i got it runnin really good today...went with a smaller pilot..weather was real crappy today so i didnt have it out for more than 15 min but no spooge either!!!!
But also there was no smoke coming out the exhaust when it warmed up is this normal???
i think i have it just a lil lean now im gonna tweak the air screw a bit and hope for the best lol
im real close to finally havin this bike dialed in

but yeah thx every1 for the fast help....
if i have nemore questions ill be sure to post!!

and 2smoke thx 4 the tip about the premix...
it wasnt alot of spooge im gonna go back to runnin 32:1 though cause ure absolutley right about spooge not bein to bad of a thing
i rather have a lil spooge than a blown engine..
and i know its alot of trial and error with jetting i was just lookin for a opinion about the 450 jet being way to big
but thx 4 the awesome response i acyually was reading it as i was fixin my bike :thumb:

weather was real crappy today so i didnt have it out for more than 15 min but no spooge either!!!!
But also there was no smoke coming out the exhaust when it warmed up is this normal???

i think i have it just a lil lean now im gonna tweak the air screw a bit and hope for the best lol
im real close to finally havin this bike dialed in
Well a little to no smoke is a real good sign. That means your really close. Now the best way to tell if your good to go is the color of the porcelin insulator inside the threads on the spark plug. If its anywhere from a light milk chocolate color to a medium tan your good to go. But you will only know this by installing a new plug and riding the bike.
and i know its alot of trial and error with jetting i was just lookin for a opinion about the 450 jet being way to big
I cant tell you if your 450 main jet is way to big. Its likely that your running a Kehien carb so your jet sizes will be different than mine. But if it runs good from idle up through the top end Id say your carb is dialed in or pretty close. Just remember that as the daytime temperatures get warmer your going to need to lean the main jet a size or two, and adjust your air screw to maintain your bottom end throttle response.

but thx 4 the awesome response i acyually was reading it as i was fixin my bike :thumb:

Did you read the pdf I linked? I think you did, just checking that you're not talking about the image.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Content/Instructions/Jetting/YZ250%20jetting%20%28000346%29.pdf

450 does seem huge unless your bike has had other work done to it. Honestly I would note what you have now and try the settings FMF suggests. If they are way off, you know where to go back to.

@2smoke: If he's running a 450 main, it's a Mikuni. According to the link above, based on the numbers, Yamaha switched from Mikuni to Keihin in 95.

yup its a mukini lol...pretty ez carb to work on..the idle screw was tricky to fiure out on it...
its like a phillips thread with a lock nut....im hopin weather is semi decent tomm:ride::ride::ride:

Typical main jet numbers for a Keihin are 150 - 205 (no I don't know what the actual limits are, just typical) and they are stepped. ie 150, 152, 155, 158, 160, 162, 165, 168, 170 etc.

I don't have any direct experience working on a Mikuni. A 450 main in a Keihin would simply be unheard of. More than double, almost triple the normal of 170.

Well since it is a Mikuni a 450 does sound a way to big. Your YZ is only a year newer than my RM, so Im assuming that the carbs are the same Mikuni TM carbs. My bike came stock (brand new from the factory) with a 360 main jet and a 45 pilot. My bike is set up similar to your YZ, FMF fatty, and Turbine core silencer, plus, Boyesen rad valve. I run a 320 main in the winter, 310 early spring, 300 right now, and a 290 for the most part during the summer. One really hot days during the summer I will install a 280 main. I run a 45 pilot in the winter and a 42.5 pilot in the summer. The jet needle is set at the 3rd position in the winter and the second position in the summer. Plus its also the next size larger than stock. My air screw setting will depend on the day. But typically its not more than 2.5 turns out and not less that 1 full turn from fully seated. Ive never messed with my Idle screw. But it does appear to be in all the way but the bike doesnt idle too high when its warmed up. When its cold it does idle kinda high whether I have it choked or not.