Phone up-grade

I've had this flip-phone for 4 years. Time to upgrade! I use Verizon and will not switch.

What is the best phone for the money?

Depends on the current offers and what you are looking for in a phone. If all you want is talk and you really want Verizon's network, you can save a lot with a Verizon reseller. If you want the smart phone with data then go with Verizon directly.

Depends on the current offers and what you are looking for in a phone. If all you want is talk and you really want Verizon's network, you can save a lot with a Verizon reseller. If you want the smart phone with data then go with Verizon directly.

I do want a Smart Phone. I hear the Droids are best with Verizon. That's why I posted. Who has experience with them? I'm looking for advice, good or bad, and with which manufacturer.

Then agian, are the iPhones worth the money? They cost a lot, and the service is pricey!

I'll make my pick in the next couple of weeks! I'm just garnering opinions and info at this point!

Thanks to all who will post and share!

A big difference in price is 4G or 3G. The difference is the speed of the data. If you are not in a 4G area then it's not much good to have a 4G phone as you can't use it. Take a look at the coverage map to see what's available for you.

For the most part Android phones all work more or less the same. The variables are the size of the screen, speed of the processor, and amount of built in memory. You should be able to get a 3G lower end android phone for $0. The more you want, the more it will cost. A higher end 4G phone will be $200. I have a low end 3G android phone and I think that it's great. The thing that I want the most is a larger screen.

One thing you should know. The battery will not last as long as an older talk only phone. With everything turned off I get about 90 hours of stantby max. If I use it it's less. If I do a lot I have to charge it every day. I could go a week easy on my older phone.

A big difference in price is 4G or 3G. The difference is the speed of the data. If you are not in a 4G area then it's not much good to have a 4G phone as you can't use it. Take a look at the coverage map to see what's available for you.

For the most part Android phones all work more or less the same. The variables are the size of the screen, speed of the processor, and amount of built in memory. You should be able to get a 3G lower end android phone for $0. The more you want, the more it will cost. A higher end 4G phone will be $200. I have a low end 3G android phone and I think that it's great. The thing that I want the most is a larger screen.

One thing you should know. The battery will not last as long as an older talk only phone. With everything turned off I get about 90 hours of stantby max. If I use it it's less. If I do a lot I have to charge it every day. I could go a week easy on my older phone.

Excellent reply and advice!

i dont know what its like in your area but 4g spots are a rare thing here. in fact i have never found a 4g spot yet. so thats something to think about when they are trying to sell you thqat 4g phone.

James

Staff member
Verizon's 4G coverage map. I read somewhere that they plan on having 4G rolled out to all current 3G coverage in 2013, however I'm not sure if they're going to make that date.

If you're looking for an Android phone my top pick would be the Motorola Razr Maxx, it's the same phone that I have except double the battery life.

If you don't want a touch only phone, I'd recommend the Motorola Droid 4.

BTW the Motorola Razr is very tough, speaking from experience. :thumb:

i dont know what its like in your area but 4g spots are a rare thing here. in fact i have never found a 4g spot yet. so thats something to think about when they are trying to sell you thqat 4g phone.

I think 4 g spots are rare ANYWHERE ... :shocked:

I was going to get the Droid for my son before his mom got him a T Mobile piece of crap. He was not happy but anyway, Verizon had Droids on the website for $10, a re manufactured one or something along that line. I personally like my Iphone and all that it is capable of doing even if I only use 15% of those. Battery life as mentioned is limited if you are running apps and a bunch of other crap all the time. I have all that turned off most of the time and I can go 36 hours or more if needed on stand by with an occasional use for any of the apps I may use. I used to have the Blackberry and was hesitant about the Iphone but I really like it now.