Panic revs!!

James

Staff member
:prof: Kids this is why you always need to wear your MX gear, looked like he only had on snowboarding boats and pants. :bonk;

:shocked: Damn I can sympathize on that knee injury though, that moaning/groaning brings back some bad memories. :cripple:

Hmmmm....not a panic rev thing, XR's aren't capable of a panic rev, ever, but I gotta ask....the rev limiter thing on modern 4 strokes...at the track, I hear peeps passing me (of course) and their bike is stuttering on the limiter, on straits and over jumps, doesn't matter which. I would never wring my bike out that hard (don't have too...it's a torque beast) so why do people do that? :thinking:

Hmmmm....not a panic rev thing, XR's aren't capable of a panic rev, ever, but I gotta ask....the rev limiter thing on modern 4 strokes...at the track, I hear peeps passing me (of course) and their bike is stuttering on the limiter, on straits and over jumps, doesn't matter which. I would never wring my bike out that hard (don't have too...it's a torque beast) so why do people do that? :thinking:

they have to! big carbs/throttle bodies + basically open exhaust gives you no low end torque, but lots of upper :thumb:

XR's are the good hondas lol or... were... :cry:

they have to! big carbs/throttle bodies + basically open exhaust gives you no low end torque, but lots of upper :thumb:

XR's are the good hondas lol or... were... :cry:

Gonna go a little "TT" here...:devil:......Are you saying big bore 4 strokes or 4 strokes in general don't have torque NH? 4 strokes are known to have torque period especially the big bore bikes. I've had 3...Yamaha 500, (simply put, a torque beast), a Honda XR600 and Husky 610 all with torque...or am i missing the point on this...:noidea:

James

Staff member
4S torque on the bottom and 2S on the top, that's the way I always understood it.
Are you saying big bore 4 strokes or 4 strokes in general don't have torque NH?
:noidea: I'm wondering that my self. NH what do you ride again?
I ride a 4S and I'll always short shift; because my torque is at the bottom and I'd prefer not doing another top end right away.

4S torque on the bottom and 2S on the top, that's the way I always understood it.

I ride a 4S and I'll always short shift; because my torque is at the bottom and I'd prefer not doing another top end right away.

One reason why I bought a stroker in the first place (in 78...:shocked:) long before it was an AIR QUALITY mandated thing.

Gonna go a little "TT" here...:devil:......Are you saying big bore 4 strokes or 4 strokes in general don't have torque NH? 4 strokes are known to have torque period especially the big bore bikes. I've had 3...Yamaha 500, (simply put, a torque beast), a Honda XR600 and Husky 610 all with torque...or am i missing the point on this...:noidea:

When you give a 4t a huge carb/throttle body, and open the exhaust it shifts the torque curve toward the upper RPM.

Why do you guys think people are doing exhaust mods and changing the carbs on XR's? to get more power out of the bike, 96 and later XR250's had 30mm carbs the new 250's have 37 or 39(i think) and the '11 kx250f has a 43mm throttle body. (XR400's had a 36mm, YZ400f had a 39mm) XR250's were also rated at 88 or 89dB... just a little info for you guys

James: RT100(2t) XR250(4t) RM250(2t)

When you give a 4t a huge carb/throttle body, and open the exhaust it shifts the torque curve toward the upper RPM.

Why do you guys think people are doing exhaust mods and changing the carbs on XR's? to get more power out of the bike, 96 and later XR250's had 30mm carbs the new 250's have 37 or 39(i think) and the '11 kx250f has a 43mm throttle body. (XR400's had a 36mm, YZ400f had a 39mm) XR250's were also rated at 88 or 89dB... just a little info for you guys

James: RT100(2t) XR250(4t) RM250(2t)

To get more top end sure but being 4 strokes they'll still have the low end grunt...I've yet to know anyone that has a 4 stroke have to keep the r's up so they don't stall!

To add to this...on my Yamaha TT 500 I added a header, pipe, and silencer, bigger carb (can't remember what size), 6" rear tire and still had the grunt to churn up football sized rocks....