"Over my head"

Vid 1 = Too stressful...doesn't look like fun, need to be part mountain goat
Vid 2 = Not bad, lot's of rolling up and down over the boulders...
Vid 3 = Kind of like rock crawling on a bike...again, no fun to me. I use to like attempting to ride trials on my "non" trials bike but that takes it to an all new level.

:shocked: :bonk: :wow: :gibbs:........

if you came up on that section you would ride it and you would make it because YOU HAVE TO... :P

I'm all better now, too much thinking about it, not enough riding!:thumb:
When someone tells me "oh this next section coming up is gnarley, blah blah" I always tell them "don't talk about it-it makes it worse, let's just do it". Kind of the don't look down syndrome.:shocked:
Will I ride Jackson's Trail? No. Will I ride the Portal Trail? No. They are mtb trails anyways, let the pedal guys do it.
I do want to keep pushing myself, the guys I rode with in Idaho said it correct; clear one section at a time, add them up, build the confidence, keep the balance.:ride:
Enjoy your week, I know I will:banana:

All of these trails look awesome! That first video would have my ass puckering for sure! I would be a bit hesitant, but probably still give it a go. The second one just looks like a great time all around. The third one....oh man. I would be in absolute heaven/hell on that trail. Definitely has some spots of concern! But doesn't look impossible....now running these trails in reverse might be a different issue. I see you concern.....But once you are out there, I am sure traction on dry rock will be superb. Now if you are out there when it is a bit rainy.......good luck sir!

All I can say from looking at that is "I wish I was going." You will have a great time. There are easier trails. Work yourself up to the tougher ones. 5MOH is a bit of a drive from Moab anyhow and is pretty much an 11 on a 10 scale. There are plenty of vid on it. 5MOH does have a few bail outs if it's just too much

One thing is for sure. If I tried 5MOH on my 600 I think the trail would completely kick my ass if I didn't fry the clutch first. I'm thinking that a recent KTM 300 with the magic button would be the ticket. Something two stroke, light weight and a low first gear. A KDX200 with a fresh might even work.

Those trails in the vids do look tough. It's kind of hard to know exactly what they are like because of the fish eye lenses. I mean ther eis obviously a cliff factor involved, but I'm not too clear just how extreme it actually is. I've been on plenty a trail where the tires had to go in a four inch wide track or over the cliff you go. The exposures on these rides seem a bit more extreme though.

One thing I've found is since I've started gravitating to the difficult trails that I have been buying clutches a lot more often. I went years and years never replacing a clutch. Now they only last a year. If I were going to Moab. I'd bring a spare.

Those vids are awesome.

None of that looked like much of any fun to me. But my little brother who happens to be part Mountain Goat on his 450 would love it if he could keep his bike from over heating in the really slow technical section.

None of that looked like much of any fun to me. But my little brother who happens to be part Mountain Goat on his 450 would love it if he could keep his bike from over heating in the really slow technical section.

That's what radiator fans are for. They actually work really well for that situation. Of course you do need the electricity to power them and many MX bikes lack that.

Waterwetter and oversized rads and hoses. boysen also makes and aftermarket water pump for stuff like that. :thumb:

As was said above, not all of Moab is as bad as 5 Miles of Hell. But that section is insanely hard.

img0245hx2.jpg

_0426.jpg

img0443ef6.jpg

_0405.jpg