OEM vs. aftermarket

Im putting together my shopping list for a top end rebuild and bottom end freshen up.

I was looking at the OEM top end kit compared to the Wiseco. The OEM is set up for a single oil ring. Where the Wiseco has a dual ring set up. Whats the difference? or is there a difference? Plus the cost. OEM top end kit is like $280, where the Wiseco with a Cosmetic gasket kit (I like them, zero issues) is only $180.

Any useful and fact based info would be greatly appreciated. Im not interested in well I heard this or that. If you have good personal experience or facts about this Im all ears.

James

Staff member
Im putting together my shopping list for a top end rebuild and bottom end freshen up.

I was looking at the OEM top end kit compared to the Wiseco. The OEM is set up for a single oil ring. Where the Wiseco has a dual ring set up. Whats the difference? or is there a difference? Plus the cost. OEM top end kit is like $280, where the Wiseco with a Cosmetic gasket kit (I like them, zero issues) is only $180.
:prof: Why spend $100 more for one less oil ring? :noidea:

:devil: psssst don't forget.....https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/sponsors/index.html

:prof: Why spend $100 more for one less oil ring? :noidea:

:devil: psssst don't forget.....https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/sponsors/index.html

Well James Im leaning towards the less expensive option. However.......... Im curious about what or if there is a difference between the ring set up on the piston. Its pretty much common knowledge that OEM stuff cost more than aftermarket stuff in most cases, though it doesnt always make it better. So if my bike came with a single ring set up, I want to know what the difference is, between the two.

supposedly single ring is less resistance but less compression, vie versa for the 2 ring. I could be wrong though

Also a forged piston lasts longer than a cast one, so i''d go the cheaper(IMO) better route and buy Wiseco.

Go wiseco piston and get OEM gasket....hear me!!! Hands down OEM gasket's :prof: been there done that FACT!!!! living it!! rebuilt mine topend two times already. if it wasn't for the bottom end I would still be on my first topend.

Last time my engine was built the it got a hot rods crank, wiseco piston, oem clutch pack, and oem gaskets.
There are things that I refuse to buy anything but oem on and things I won't waste the extra money to go oem again on.
In your case, I would go with the wiseco just for the pure and simple forged vs. cast. OEM gaskets though :clap:

Any useful and fact based info would be greatly appreciated. Im not interested in well I heard this or that. If you have good personal experience or facts about this Im all ears.

In my opinion I would go with the oem personally because I think they last longer but that could be. Because I ride honda im not sure about other but I m not a fan of aftermarket unless I can afford the oem

In my opinion I would go with the oem personally because I think they last longer but that could be. Because I ride honda im not sure about other but I m not a fan of aftermarket unless I can afford the oem

he said make it useful and fact based...:prof:

I got my OEM top end kit with the wrist pin bearing off ebay for 80 dollars including shipping :thinking:

Wiseco has tighter tolerences than OEM.... ... Single ring over a 2 ring... Single ring is for raceing... 2 ring will last longer

You already got my info....
Wiseco topend, OEM gaskets and seals and Koyo or Niche crank bearings... and whatever bearings the rod company sends you with the rod... usually they are Koyo throw away any KBC bearings (korean bearing company)

James

Staff member

Wiseco has tighter tolerences than OEM....
:thumb: Just because something isn't OEM doesn't mean that it doesn't meet OEM standards. There are times when aftermarket actually exceeds OEM quality.

first of all 2 strokes dont have oil rings. single ring is supposed to have better preformance, but the twin ring lasts longer. vertex is the oem piston supplier for KTM so i wouldnt see anything wrong with them

first of all 2 strokes dont have oil rings. single ring is supposed to have better preformance, but the twin ring lasts longer. vertex is the oem piston supplier for KTM so i wouldnt see anything wrong with them

Vertex or wossner, depending on years.... mine was a vertex oem...

Many say that pro-x and japanese oem pistons are made in the same factory, by the same company (ART)