OEM or Wiseco?

I trail ride and basically just dick around on my yz 250, don't plan on racing but I do some track riding from time to time (im not a super hard rider, but sometimes I like to let loose). I don't plan on going oversized piston. Whats the best bet? I can order a wiseco top end kit for about 160 dollars shipped and taxes. Where would I get an OEM top end from? Yamaha dealer or a site online?

I have put top and bottom ends in my YZ's from Wisco without a problem, going on 40 hours. Still strong.

RMATV/MC is the best for OEM parts, Vertex are great but nothing oversized, EBay for all Weisco.

Last edited:
For all the reading I have done and all the hacking on pistons that I have done, I don't have a clear preference over OE where yamaha and honda are concerned. I have felt if I was drilling or milling to get more transfer area etc that the forged worked better than the cast at resisting cracks. I like keeping to the stock weights on some of the bigger engines, so those are generally going back as OE, (cast in other words).

You can't go wrong with OE really. So just let the budget be the guide on that one. Advantage to OE is you can play a,b,c games if the dealer is stocked for it.

Weisco had some problems a while back with their cranks, all taken care of now. I seen broken and timing off problems. Budget on the top end only OEM vrs Weisco and or Vertex is peanuts really. I have a couple YZ cranks that will be OEM rod replaced for a back up. They will last longer than a Weisco.

As far as aftermarket top end kits, I've never had a problem with wiseco, OEM is a good way to go, stay away from namura. I don't order online if I don't have to, get my parts from a local parts store I have a good relationship with.less hassle if something goes wrong with the order.

Yeah, in the past they didnt have the prolite available for the 500's so I never switched. even the prolite for the 125's, pin and bearing included was a little heavier than the stockers that Honda was using. The only 125's I still have are bigbores so the weight of stockers vs wiseco was pretty much a moot point on the smaller rigs from the start. My bigbore pistons are so much heavier than the stockers to begin with, and the rigs make their hp a good 800 spins slower.

you cant lose on either one. stock engines ridden the way yours is can get a better fit by determining if your piston is avail in a, b, or c sizes etc and getting one of those. with wear it is less important on a used cylinder.