No More Sobe Bombs?

He he.......:thumb::thumb:

I've posted this photo before, but I like it - how about upgrading to magnesium -

Funny you should mention that. Another experiment that I've been thinking about is to pour some magnesium filings into the gas filled bottle. I'm thinking that when it blows, the filings will ignite and give off that bright light. Copper filings could be used also, for different color flame.

Funny you should mention that. Another experiment that I've been thinking about is to pour some magnesium filings into the gas filled bottle. I'm thinking that when it blows, the filings will ignite and give off that bright light. Copper filings could be used also, for different color flame.

Sounds interesting, let me know when launch day is.
We do have a member here, who can make the most amazing "light show" using powdered milk, hopefully he starts getting back out to the dez soon.

One of the most impressive pyro demonstrations I've seen in the dez was out at Soggy one night. There were these huge fireball mushroom cloud like things coming from another camp. Put any Sobe bomb to shame. I had to know more. They were tossing full 16oz propane bottles in a raging fire. When the relief valve popped they shot it with a 12 gauge slug. That released the heated liquid propane all at one time leading to the fireball mushroom cloud. Needless to say alcohol was involved.

I've never tried it and I don't think I will be. It was really over the top.

On that note, one New Year's eve at Spangler there was something a little different. I remember being in my MH and seeing a flash from a mile or 2 away that was followed a second later by a boom that rocked the MH and made my insides feel really weird from the concussion. That happened several more times that night. Whether it was dynamite or an acetylene bomb, who knows. But I will never forget it. God help the campers that were close to this.:shocked:

On that note, one New Year's eve at Spangler there was something a little different. I remember being in my MH and seeing a flash from a mile or 2 away that was followed a second later by a boom that rocked the MH and made my insides feel really weird from the concussion. That happened several more times that night. Whether it was dynamite or an acetylene bomb, who knows. But I will never forget it. God help the campers that were close to this.:shocked:

I think that was last New Years. They were right across the road from you and did that several times.

jack daniels 1.75 L bottles work pretty good...
Jack Daniels Whiskey 1.75L
we lit one off and it was so big people from other camps came driving to see what the heck was going on and one of my friends wife was in the shower in her toybox and she came fyling out in nothing but a little towel freaked out...it was great.
the trick to NOT having the bottle shatter in our experience is not to drink a cold sobe down and fill it with the gasoline and put it right in the fire while cold...let it warm up slightly before inserting it into the fire.
my daughter did her 4th grade science project on sobe bombs...she got an A and it went to the county fair, but she was asked never to do that again by the principle.
she had pictures and a full report on how to do it even a video...funny as hell
we called it the principles of "internal combustion" :smirk:

jack daniels 1.75 L bottles work pretty good...
Jack Daniels Whiskey 1.75L
we lit one off and it was so big people from other camps came driving to see what the heck was going on and one of my friends wife was in the shower in her toybox and she came fyling out in nothing but a little towel freaked out...it was great.
the trick to NOT having the bottle shatter in our experience is not to drink a cold sobe down and fill it with the gasoline and put it right in the fire while cold...let it warm up slightly before inserting it into the fire.
my daughter did her 4th grade science project on sobe bombs...she got an A and it went to the county fair, but she was asked never to do that again by the principle.
she had pictures and a full report on how to do it even a video...funny as hell
we called it the principles of "internal combustion" :smirk:

THAT IS PRICELESS..:thumb: I like the tid bit about the "little towel too" :devil: