No More Sobe Bombs?

We started off small with Mickeys Big Mouth bottles, then moved up to the quart sized bottles. While I still enjoy the job of emptying the bottles :cheers: to get them ready, the thrill of the eruption is starting to wear off.
Next season, it's time to kick it up a notch or two with the big wine bottle. :devil:

bigboom.jpg

If this was legal, our experience with the gallon sized bottles would be that the pressure spike that occurs within the combustible liquid when the cap blows off and the vapor is ignited would create hoop tension stresses in the bottle that exceed the tension strength of the bottle, resulting in shards of glass flying everywhere. If we had investigated this, we would have found that the phenomenon was repeatable, and would also have had one of our "rocket scientists" verify this analytically...

Be careful uot there

If this was legal, our experience with the gallon sized bottles would be that the pressure spike that occurs within the combustible liquid when the cap blows off and the vapor is ignited would create hoop tension stresses in the bottle that exceed the tension strength of the bottle, resulting in shards of glass flying everywhere. If we had investigated this, we would have found that the phenomenon was repeatable, and would also have had one of our "rocket scientists" verify this analytically...

Be careful uot there

Hey Birdy. So you speak from experience?:banana::wave:

We've had some of the same results, errr I mean, I've been told that also. I have also heard, that by using the old washer tubs, it surrounds the container, keeping "most" of the shards, in the pit.:devil:

I have never seen this before. That pic is :shocked:. Serious question - does the bottle turn into one giant shrapnel risk??

one time we were camped near a group that did this in their fire pit. we were a good 75 - 100 yards away. when "it" didn't go exactly as planned we were pelted with debris, glass, rocks, hot coals.... we camp with a fireman he thinks you are risking you life........

i have seen a video of this gone wrong where the bottle tipped over and when it iginited it torched the guys toyhauler.

We've had some of the same results, errr I mean, I've been told that also. I have also heard, that by using the old washer tubs, it surrounds the container, keeping "most" of the shards, in the pit.:devil:

Like the Guinness guys say...Brilliant!...Brilliant!

Be careful uot there

Hey it's like any other engineering endevour. The solution is better materials. The real problem with glass is it can't take thermal transients very well. The unequal temps cause it to break. The glass not in contact with the fuel heats up. The liquid boils and contacts the heated glass and suddenly cools it breaking the brittle glass. Now a metal container, that has possibilities. It also has much more profound shrapnel possibilities as well.

one time we were camped near a group that did this in their fire pit. we were a good 75 - 100 yards away. when "it" didn't go exactly as planned we were pelted with debris, glass, rocks, hot coals.... we camp with a fireman he thinks you are risking you life........

i have seen a video of this gone wrong where the bottle tipped over and when it iginited it torched the guys toyhauler.

It is certainly dangerous and fatal injuries are definitely possible, but so is riding a dirt bike. Toyhauler's are one thing, but a tip over can burn the "guy" too. Be careful out there. I think magnesium is likely safer, just don't look at it without welding goggles.