Newbie from SoCal

Thanks guys! I'm thinking something along the lines of a CRF230F for myself. I've been dirt biking twice in my life with a friend and the first time I rode a KTM EXC400 and the second time was another KTM 2-stroke 200 (my buddy I went with was big into KTM). I found the 400 a little big and hard to handle (especially since for the first hour I was trying to turn the thing like a street bike) and the second time we went I had a blast on the two stroke. Was much lighter, and I loved the powerband and the freewheeling off the throttle.

Being on a limited budget, I figure I can start on a 230/250 something (just something to get both my son and I out on the trails at the same time!) and upgrade later down the road. Or better yet, slowly install all the goodies to make it a nicer ride. Half the fun for me is learning to wrench on them with my son...

Any input on a reliable fun ride for a 6'0" 215lb guy that doesn't break the bank would be appreciated!

Thanks guys! I'm thinking something along the lines of a CRF230F for myself. I've been dirt biking twice in my life with a friend and the first time I rode a KTM EXC400 and the second time was another KTM 2-stroke 200 (my buddy I went with was big into KTM). I found the 400 a little big and hard to handle (especially since for the first hour I was trying to turn the thing like a street bike) and the second time we went I had a blast on the two stroke. Was much lighter, and I loved the powerband and the freewheeling off the throttle.

Being on a limited budget, I figure I can start on a 230/250 something (just something to get both my son and I out on the trails at the same time!) and upgrade later down the road. Or better yet, slowly install all the goodies to make it a nicer ride. Half the fun for me is learning to wrench on them with my son...

Any input on a reliable fun ride for a 6'0" 215lb guy that doesn't break the bank would be appreciated!

The 230 would be a nice place to start and to resell. Downside is that where I am at and the ones I looked at in other parts of the country they sell for a premium. Very popular in other words. They are a heavier electric start version of the long running xr200. skip the 84-85 versions of the xr200 and ride the ones 86 or newer and you may find a better deal that you can still resell easily. For your size the xr250 from 86 on will do very nicely. I have two of them and like them. I also have lots of other faster rigs, but sometimes the xr250 is just the thing for me, depending on the ride. you may be able to find a better deal on them. 500 dollar ones are common where I am. you just have to be patient. other things to consider are the yamaha TT line, the 200 and 230's are decent and they seem to sell for a few dollars less than the honda. a sleeper of the bunch of trail bikes I like, is the suzuki dr350. as easy to ride as the xr250, better suspension in some years than the xr250 too. usually they sell cheaper than the hondas and for some reason have been used less. 43 mm forks means you can upgrade the damper rod forks fast and easy, with little expense to cartridge forks.

of all of those if i were you and your size and had no one to hand the 200/230 down to imediately the xr250 is the one I would probably be looking for the hardest.

Welcome Phil. Good times with the kids for sure. My boys started out on a CRF50 and a KLX 110. The now ride a 250 and 350 four stroke.

What kind of street bike did you ride and part with to get into dirt bikes?

I've had a '05 SV650N and my most recent bike I sold was a '09 Kawi Versys. Both great bikes, although I think I liked the SV the best. It had better midrange grunt than the Versys.

I used to commute in LA soley on a motorcycle for about 3 years, then got married, got a car, started commuting sporadically and riding on the weekends. Now that I've got two kids (and a wife, and a mortgage, you know the drill) I decided that dealing with LA traffic on a daily basis isn't something I wanted to do anymore. Now that my son is 8 it's time to take this party off road. I've been bike-less for a little over a year and it's killing me! Can't wait to get his gear and take him out for the first time.

Thanks for the warm welcome here guys...I already like dirtbike forum members better than the street bike crowd! :goofy:

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I started my kid out on a PW50 when he was 4 and he now rides a 350. Fun times. Starting all over again with my grandson. He is 16 months and has a pw50 waiting for him in the garage.