2 Stroke New Top End Problems

Update: I was able to remove the cylinder from the engine. Good news is the bottom end is fine! The rod end bearing is fine and the ring was perfect. As you can see in the pictures, the freshly recoated bore delaminated in two places almost directly across from each other! I contacted the plating company (US Chrome in Fond Du Lac, WI) and after I explained what happened and what I am seeing, they stated that delamination shouldn't happen but sometimes it does. I was instructed to return the cylinder and piston and they will make it right. This will be a warranty claim so all I am out is a gasket kit...

I will provide updates as the repair unfolds!

KTM cylinder 1.JPG KTM cylinder 2.JPG KTM piston 1.JPG
Thanks all for your help!
HARFEND

Update: I was able to remove the cylinder from the engine. Good news is the bottom end is fine! The rod end bearing is fine and the ring was perfect. As you can see in the pictures, the freshly recoated bore delaminated in two places almost directly across from each other! I contacted the plating company (US Chrome in Fond Du Lac, WI) and after I explained what happened and what I am seeing, they stated that delamination shouldn't happen but sometimes it does. I was instructed to return the cylinder and piston and they will make it right. This will be a warranty claim so all I am out is a gasket kit...

I will provide updates as the repair unfolds!

View attachment 28403 View attachment 28404 View attachment 28405
Thanks all for your help!
HARFEND
fuckitrunit.jpg

Was the arrow pointing toward the exhaust on the piston? Sounds dumb but will do exactly as described. Will power band for a few seconds then locked up the tire. Had a friend do that not to long ago[emoji16]. So now we know that it will work with the piston in backwards just not very long lol. The oil holes are supposed to be on the exhaust side and the ring gap on the intake. If not it will snag the exhaust port. Just throughing some info out there for the internet haha !

Last edited:
Update: I sent the cylinder and piston back to the company that did the recoating work here in Wisconsin. US Chrome Performance Plating in Fond du Lac, WI. I spoke with the general manager today who informed me the parts were inspected and they will provide me with a full warranty of recoating and a new piston and ring kit for no charge. Thank goodness there are still reputable companies willing to stand behind their work!! It was explained that it was possible oil contamination that may have caused the plating to come off. It happens in 1% of the work they do and I was the lucky one percenter....! I am out the gasket kit but it sure beats the alternative!

HARFEND

Update: I sent the cylinder and piston back to the company that did the recoating work here in Wisconsin. US Chrome Performance Plating in Fond du Lac, WI. I spoke with the general manager today who informed me the parts were inspected and they will provide me with a full warranty of recoating and a new piston and ring kit for no charge. Thank goodness there are still reputable companies willing to stand behind their work!! It was explained that it was possible oil contamination that may have caused the plating to come off. It happens in 1% of the work they do and I was the lucky one percenter....! I am out the gasket kit but it sure beats the alternative!

HARFEND
Happy days!:thumb: Don't forget your out a fortnights riding and gasket kit and your labour so although they say it's only 1% it's probs more like 5-10% so from your actual experience I wouldn't be recommending them to friends or family:prof:, if on return your parts go again stick it to them and demand a full bottom and top end rebuild in way of compensation by themor better a local to you trusted shop :banghead:

HARFEND

That's good news! Glad to see them stand up and recognize!

SRAD97750

Staff member

HARFEND
Wish I had known there was a chance it wasn't my screw up. I'll have to think about this for a long time. -BIG DAN:thinking:

I agree with you Dan and I also thought about it before contacting them. But in the end, I am confident that I did nothing wrong in my assembly that would have caused such a massive failure so quickly! I have previous experience, the proper tools and a clean environment for assembly. The "experts" who inspected the parts claimed it was their responsibility and assured me that it wasn't my fault. (incorrect assembly, lean condition or other major fault of the assembler.) I am glad that they decided to step up and correct this for me. And I am glad I contacted them and gave them the opportunity to inspect the parts and make the decision to proceed with a warranty claim. They could have told me to take a hike.... Yes, I am out a gasket set, but it is better than the cost of another piston, ring and recoating of the cylinder...
HARFEND

Update: The re-coated (again!) cylinder, a new piston fitted to the recoating and my trashed piston have been returned to me. Now the tedious task of reassembly. I can guarantee that there will be quadruple checking and recording of every measurement, torque value etc...

HARFEND

Update: The re-coated (again!) cylinder, a new piston fitted to the recoating and my trashed piston have been returned to me. Now the tedious task of reassembly. I can guarantee that there will be quadruple checking and recording of every measurement, torque value etc...

HARFEND

:thumb: