New to liquid cooled bikes! School me!

Hey guys we always had air cooled bikes and now I have a liquid cooled bike. This past weekend I was really grunting and working the bike through some rough stuff while climbing. You rarely even got to hit 2nd. It was more of the 1st gear and work over rock after rock and through ruts as you climbed this mountian. About 3/4 the way up I could feel the heat coming off the bike and when I finally hit the top you could hear it gurgling and boiling. She was very warm.

Do you guys ever install fans on your radiators? How about temp Gauges? How do you know when she needs shut down?

Thanks for the lessons.:thumb:

I'm an air head guy, but I like the tough trails and I have had to deal with these issues.

Yes fans can fix the problem.

Does your bike had a recovery tank. If not then the coolant is lost and you can fry your engine if you don't replace the lost coolant. Don't keep riding whan it starts boiling over. The bike goes uncooled and that can be expensive should you continue riding.

I'm an air head guy, but I like the tough trails and I have had to deal with these issues.

Does your bike had a recovery tank. If not then the coolant is lost and you can fry your engine if you don't replace the lost coolant. Don't keep riding whan it starts boiling over. The bike goes uncooled and that can be expensive should you continue riding.

It does have a recovery tank.

I have both - and Air Cooled XR650L and XR600, and a water cooled CR500AF.
The air cooled bikes will ping when real hot - that is when it is time to let them cool down.
It takes some slow rough stuff to get them that hot.

The 500 used to boil all the time, especially at altitude and rough slow stuff ie: Horse Canyon going up.
I changed it to Evans waterless coolant.
I was told - it will get too hot, not cool well, cook your engine, blah, blah, blah.
That was 5 years ago.
I have had to do 1 top end in that time. It was tired from so many hours.
Everything looked perfect. No heat damage apparant.
I ride that thing hard, and no problems ever.
With the Evans - I don't run a reservori anymore - since it never boils.
Just my $.02

We where talking about fans not to long ago in a thread and i can't seem to find it now cuz i'm slow prolly but that is something i'm thinking of getting for my WR for when your just creeping along and not getting the air flow you need to cool off . in the last thread there were some suggestions i think on some fans that would prolly be usefull under tips and how to's. it may be awhile befor i can get one but i sure would like to have one for the days when i'm going slow.:banana:

We where talking about fans not to long ago in a thread and i can't seem to find it now cuz i'm slow prolly but that is something i'm thinking of getting for my WR for when your just creeping along and not getting the air flow you need to cool off . in the last thread there were some suggestions i think on some fans that would prolly be usefull under tips and how to's. it may be awhile befor i can get one but i sure would like to have one for the days when i'm going slow.:banana:

Yea, I was trying to remember that too... not sure if it ever made it onto a thread, I think it may have been in the chat box....

This may not answer your direct question however Isearched for info I know was discussed on here but this is one of the few threads Icould find...check it out and see if there's any usefull info you could use.
Thread name.......:Your KTM Overheat: I thin it' sin the make specific section! or type it in the search box :prof:

If a bike would have a recovery tank where would it be located...behind the rad? on quads (sorry had to include it for this) is under the rear fender.....I don't think my bike has one!

I think they can be just about anywhere. If I remember correctly one of my buddies WR has it kind of under the rear fender to the left side. If they are factory they are usually well hidden. I have a friend with a CR500 and his DIY version goes on top of the front fender forward of the number plate.

I think they can be just about anywhere. If I remember correctly one of my buddies WR has it kind of under the rear fender to the left side. If they are factory they are usually well hidden. I have a friend with a CR500 and his DIY version goes on top of the front fender forward of the number plate.

Both of my bikes have them behind the rear fender on the side.

Check out Coolant Keeper Systems as they are a sponsor of DBA. :thumb:

There is a link on the left hand side of the page.