New to 4 stroke tuning

Got a ZipTy fuel screw. Took the stock one out and found that the washer and oring were flopped. It's much happier now. Starts easy. Runs good. Still pumps out a ton of heat, but hasn't boiled over on me yet. Got a trail Tech Voyager. It tells me I've hit 226 degrees on a casual ride. That seem normal?

Yeah. It shouldn't boil with. 50/50 at 226 especially under pressure.

I dont know of any of the liquid cooled 4 strokes that won't boil if you pop the cap idling after about 15 minutes on the knik trails. the whole reason for the catch bottles is that it is pretty common.

Sorry for the noob type questions. I bought and am setting this bike up specifically for adventure riding. Tour of Idaho, WABDR and such. I NEED to be able to trust it. Therefore, I need to know things I never cared about before.

Sorry for the noob type questions. I bought and am setting this bike up specifically for adventure riding. Tour of Idaho, WABDR and such. I NEED to be able to trust it. Therefore, I need to know things I never cared about before.
Adventure riding? Maybe an xr650r or lc4 would work better?

Adventure riding? Maybe an xr650r or lc4 would work better?

Based on what criteria? "Adventure" riding means vastly different things to different folks. ;-)

While both of those were on my list while shopping and would fit the bill, I ultimately decided to pass them by. If I planned on more street riding than I do, they would have been more likely candidates.

To me, it means long range singletrack on a dirtbike that is barely street legal. The 650 and lc4 are both much heavier machines and therefore harder to singletrack. The WR's have a reputation for being bulletproof much like the XR and weigh significantly less.

...and I'm a Yamaha fan.
...and I already bought this one. It was a pretty good deal.

I will admit that the xr was a bit toigh in the single track before I added the rekluse. Considering the rides you mentioned the wr may be a bit high maintenance. Do yourself a huge favor and get a good seat!

Higher than the XR, yeah, a little.

I'm actually looking for a seat now.
I have a Z-Start in it. It also has a dampner. That way, when I'm tired after riding all day several days in a row, the machine can make up for my sloppy riding and I'll be less likely to get hurt.

My primary fun bike (YZ250) does not and will not ever have those things. I prefer to keep my skills sharp. :-)

If I was truly ambitious, and my son was not riding it, I would have turned the CR500 into the adventure bike. I don't like thumpers and they don't really like me either. But, too much work for a lazy man like me. I gotta say, while this WR is not my YZ, it also doesn't suck like many other thumpers I've ridden. :-D

I could be happy with my cr on the street as far as power band goes. But Jos you hit it on the head with the fuel mileage. Can't be too light for me either. But speaking of "lights", that becomes pricey.

I don't think of the Rekluse clutch as taking the edge off of your skills, but it narrows the set you need to ride fast. If I really wanted to keep the skills I started developing back in in the 60's sharp I guess I would be riding with about 4.5 inches of front end travel and about 3 inches of twin shock back travel (all of it really bad travel too). Of course about 30 percent of of my braking would be called "boots". Everytime I hear someone say that a better clutch will ruin your riding skills I laugh to myself. No one wants to go back to the days when you really had to know how to keep momentum up and pick lines if they have to have an inferior bike to do it on.

I could be happy with my cr on the street as far as power band goes. But Jos you hit it on the head with the fuel mileage. Can't be too light for me either. But speaking of "lights", that becomes pricey.

I don't think of the Rekluse clutch as taking the edge off of your skills, but it narrows the set you need to ride fast. If I really wanted to keep the skills I started developing back in in the 60's sharp I guess I would be riding with about 4.5 inches of front end travel and about 3 inches of twin shock back travel (all of it really bad travel too). Of course about 30 percent of of my braking would be called "boots". Everytime I hear someone say that a better clutch will ruin your riding skills I laugh to myself. No one wants to go back to the days when you really had to know how to keep momentum up and pick lines if they have to have an inferior bike to do it on.

We all are nostalgic about those old bikes,weike looking at them, but yeah.....who would want to go back to them?