Hello. I am a new member. I live in central Al but I travel for work a decent amount. I will be over in Jekyll Island, Ga quite a bit this winter. If anyone knows of good riding places in either location please let me know.

Welcome to the forum Grasshopper. Whatever gets you rolling will be a good start, and a cheap runner will get you there. A neighbor of mine persisted to buy(and invest) several thousand dollars in a bike and gear only to find that he was intimidated the activity. Went to flip for his return and lost $2,000 in the process. Start off cheap and work your way up. It’s tough for even seasoned buyers to spot all the gremlins at a tire kick, so expect you may get a dud, or a bike that just doesn’t suit your ability. That’s the way it goes sometimes. Have you much off road riding experience ?

I rode dirt bikes from around age five through 14 when I got an enduro and my license. Kept riding enduros on and off road then transitioned to rice rockets in college. I haven’t ridden in about six or seven years at all. Got on a buddy’s bike the other day and got the fever again. Bad. Now I just need two wheels.

Thanks.

I will post pictures when I buy it. Haha.

I am looking at a 96 KDX 200 later this week. Any tips of what to look for would be highly appreciated.

Check for leaks, and general appearance, if it at least looks good you know the owner made an attempt to keep her up. But for sure check wheel and suspension bearings for play. Look for bent rims and bars, make sure all the controls operate freely and that the transmission shifts thru all the gears. Check air filter and oil for cleanliness, look over the frame for cracks, look for wear on the footpegs, sprockets and chain. Before he starts it for you check to see if the engine is warm. Sometimes if the bike is a cold blooded or won’t run well cold, he may get it warmed up before you Show up so he can say, look it’s a one kick bike..... If you find Anything up with the bike you can try to bargain him down. that KDX is a great trail bike, not so hot on the track though. Welcome to DBA.

If it runs, RIDE IT!

,,what kind of rockets?

I had a Ninja 500 but quickly got bored and got another ninja but the ZX-7 then a CBR. I loved my bikes although I only had my CBR a very short time. I sold my truck and CBR right before I deployed.

Check for leaks, and general appearance, if it at least looks good you know the owner made an attempt to keep her up. But for sure check wheel and suspension bearings for play. Look for bent rims and bars, make sure all the controls operate freely and that the transmission shifts thru all the gears. Check air filter and oil for cleanliness, look over the frame for cracks, look for wear on the footpegs, sprockets and chain. Before he starts it for you check to see if the engine is warm. Sometimes if the bike is a cold blooded or won’t run well cold, he may get it warmed up before you Show up so he can say, look it’s a one kick bike..... If you find Anything up with the bike you can try to bargain him down. that KDX is a great trail bike, not so hot on the track though. Welcome to DBA.

Thanks. I’m not real interested in track. Just woods riding. How do you think the KDX 200 would compare to a Honda CRF 230?