Other Need help with ttr125

Hello, I just bought a 2006 ttr125 and the guy said it needed a new carb because gas was leaking out the overflow and he couldn’t find out what was wrong with it, I opened it up and messed with the float and I couldn’t figure it out myself so I just ordered a $30 carb off of amazon. I installed it and it seemed to run great around the yard but when I got on the road and started picking up speed it seems to just turn off once I slow down and down shift. I don’t know it’s like if I go to fast it will just completely die and right after it dies it won’t start, the es won’t work nor will the kick start, I have to wait a good 30 minutes before I can start it and it runs fine again. Anything helps! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely sounds like it's running too lean.
The engine gets too little fuel, which means it will also run hotter, resulting in it overheating. The cylinder and piston might be damaged already so I don't recommend driving anymore until you've jetted it correctly.

You need a larger main jet in the carb.

Definitely sounds like it's running too lean.
The engine gets too little fuel, which means it will also run hotter, resulting in it overheating. The cylinder and piston might be damaged already so I don't recommend driving anymore until you've jetted it correctly.

You need a larger main jet in the carb.

Fuck okay thanks, is that something I’d be able to do or what?

I don’t have any mods done so do you think a 110 main and 17.5 pilot would be good?
I don't think you need to change your pilot if you don't have any trouble keeping it on idle. Pilot jet is basically only for idle.

What main jet do you have now?
It's not possible to guess what main jet you should use, I would recommend you get a jet kit with a bunch of jets larger than the one you have now and test out each jet until you find the correct one. Start with the biggest jet you have and work yourself down (to prevent seizing from running too lean).

I don’t know what size jet it is, it doesn’t say what size it is or anything... where can I order a jet kit?
Have you tried opening up the carb? It should say on the jet what size it is. And you can get a jet kit on eBay or your local motorcycle parts dealer if you're lucky. Make sure the jets fit. You should measure the thread on the jet to find out what size thread jet you should buy.
If you don't know how to change a jet I suggest doing a lil bit of google research.
Best of luck:thumb:

1st, do you have a manual? If not GET ONE!!!
Chances are if the previous owner did fix a simple leak issue then he didn’t know what he was doing either.
2, open up the manual and rebuild the original carb. The parts kit is readily available at Rocky Mountain ATV, Motosport, Cycle Gear or any dealer or just google TTr 125 carb rebuild kit.
3: before reassembling with new parts, clean EVERY inch of the carb spotless. Spray carb cleaner in every orifice or port like its $500 call girl that takes coupons. Do this twice, maybe 3 times. Assemble then ride.

YOU MUST HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL FOR THIS BIKE IF YOU ARE GOING TO MOVE FORWARD.

I opened it up and messed with the float and I couldn’t figure it out myself ...
There is your first problem, it’s not that you couldn’t or or can’t figure it out, it’s that you didn’t figure it out, and gave up trying. The understanding of what you are doing is not a prerequisite, it is something that is developed as you go. However, the cognition to seek, absorb and apply the information is the only way you will be successful. To know the answer to the equation, and to solve the equation are two different things. In buying a new carb, you essentially went to the back of the book to the answer key. You failed practical knowledge. The carburetor itself is merely fuel transport and delivery, there are few irreparable issues warranting discard. Now, if you have yet to trash what is most likely a perfectly good stock unit, take it apart again, and inspect it thoroughly. Research how it works, why it works, and you will find maybe why it doesn’t. You have an excellent opportunity to dissect a carb with impunity. If you dont want to know, you don’t need to know.

Now, if I had to guess, I’d say your bowl is filling too slowly. Once your capacity of stored fuel is exhausted it is shutting off. Pull the fuel line, petcock off, and direct into a can or bottle. Turn the valve on and inspect gas flows freely. If it does, move on to the next step. Rule out one thing at a time. No quitters allowed