mountain bike

i no nothing about mountain bikes but sense i broke my shoulder and cant ride for 4 months :cry: i figured id get into mountain biking to stay in shape for racing. anyway my question is what is a good brand/model thats going to hold up the best im pretty hard on things. im looking used for around $300
thanks

if you cant ride a dirtbike because of a shoulder a mt bike is almost just as bad. its not that much different.

if you are trying to recover from a injury id stick to a cruiser of some sort and stay on paved stuff.

also for 300 bucks you will find nothing but low end stuff ...unless you got lucky on CL or ebay. I always liked Giant bikes... santa cruz also makes some really solid mt bikes but they are not cheap.

James

Staff member
I had also tried riding my bike to help stay in shape, but like Trav said, it's not really any better then a dirt bike. Heck I'd almost venture to say that it's worse because of the smaller suspension. I'm sure that the 5-10k mt bikes have a super plush suspension though, however those are a tad out of my price range. :lol:

I'd recommend a stationary bike or elliptical machine.

The hunched over position while riding a mountain bike puts a lot of strain on the shoulder area, so perhaps not best considering the injury you have. Do you plan on riding single track trails, or just hitting bike paths? $300 mountain bikes are scary, nothing like a frame snapping on a jump or a crank breaking while you are pedaling up a hill. As said, Craigslist is your best bet at that price if you want the mountain bike. An old Schwinn beach cruiser can sell for around $100-150. Pre 1980's models were still built in Chicago and will never let you down. Beach cruisers are much easier on the top end of your body.
MTBR is a good place for reviews on quality mountain bikes - http://www.mtbr.com/
I have a Gary Fisher http://fisherbikes.com/ and an Ibex. Ibex sells only from the factory, so no middleman mark up. Good quality bikes, but still about $700 for the base model http://www.ibexbikes.com/index.html

i approve of Gary Fisher bikes as well.
Trek is a decent bike.
id stay away from specialized

I worked in a bike shop. we catered to BMX race bikes and DH mt bikes but sold everything. Seen way to many specialized bikes come in with problems so i always tell people to stay awy from em.

cant do the street bike cuz im 16 and dont my my license. man cuz i want to do it jus cuz i want to get out doors and everything. ya i figured i really wouldnt be able to get anything good in that prise range

cant do the street bike cuz im 16 and dont my my license. man cuz i want to do it jus cuz i want to get out doors and everything. ya i figured i really wouldnt be able to get anything good in that prise range
i meant like a bicycle that is made for the street... like a 10speed type bike

ya but thats boring lol. i could just do a stationary bike instead.

you can find decent stuff on CL, but beware, some stuff on there is crap...

If you find some CL ads that are potential buys for you post them up, and im sure someone would be glad to glance it over and give you their opinion