Motorcycle Seat Upholstery

Hey guys, as some of you know I picked up a 77 Suzuki GS750. The stock look of it is not "cool" in my opinion. So I got creative with a hacksaw, diegrinder, and welder. I've been messing around and trying different things. I've recently made a custom seat pan and foam for it, but I don't know what I should use to cover it. Obviously some sort of vinyl or leather that I can stretch over it. I just don't know what to buy or where to look for it. I have always bought pre made covers for my quads and dirtbikes online.

Has anyone done custom upholstery similar to what I want to do? I'm just looking for some tips and tricks as well as advice on material to use.

Here's a before and after (don't rag on my duct tape, it's only temporary)

Attachments

• 20140808_214347.jpg
    20140808_214347.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 4223a02c-d220-463b-ba94-2d2ef6c246a2.jpg
    4223a02c-d220-463b-ba94-2d2ef6c246a2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
I've considered doing that. I've been doing this whole build on a budget though. So if I have to spend 5 hours to save $30 I will haha. My mom is good friends with a guy at an upholstery shop, so maybe I do go that route. On the other hand I kind of want the experience too.

Hey guys, as some of you know I picked up a 77 Suzuki GS750. The stock look of it is not "cool" in my opinion. So I got creative with a hacksaw, diegrinder, and welder. I've been messing around and trying different things. I've recently made a custom seat pan and foam for it, but I don't know what I should use to cover it. Obviously some sort of vinyl or leather that I can stretch over it. I just don't know what to buy or where to look for it. I have always bought pre made covers for my quads and dirtbikes online.

Has anyone done custom upholstery similar to what I want to do? I'm just looking for some tips and tricks as well as advice on material to use.

Here's a before and after (don't rag on my duct tape, it's only temporary)

Rag on the duct tape?......Hell I was going to suggest that, hey I think it looks great with it.

I used to do a lot of seat covers so I have the $120 couch upholstery gun and $30 hot glue gun... So if you have $150 plus fabric and the time to learn then go for it. You can usually find motorcycle seat fabric all over the net.

Well the seat pan is sheet metal with hooks and metal tabs you pinch down to hold the material down. As far as tools I need just something to bend those with. I'm really just looking for material options. I need something with a little stretch to it, or something that will stretch with the aid of a blow dryer then suck back in when it cools off.

It's not a stock seat or foam shape. It's shorted 8-10 inches. Completely custom there is no way I can buy a precut cover for it.

While I know you are limited on funds this will offer you the most bang for your buck. With the tabs in the seat to hold the original seat on you will need an upholstery clincher. You will need to upholster several hundred seats a year in order afford that tool and trying to find someone with a cincher to do it for you will cost more than several new seats.
Even with an in depth google search I can't even find this tool. You might be able to find a local boat custom seat/cushion guy that will attempt to give you what you seek.

http://www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com/brands/Suzuki.html

While I know you are limited on funds this will offer you the most bang for your buck. With the tabs in the seat to hold the original seat on you will need an upholstery clincher. You will need to upholster several hundred seats a year in order afford that tool and trying to find someone with a cincher to do it for you will cost more than several new seats.
Even with an in depth google search I can't even find this tool. You might be able to find a local boat custom seat/cushion guy that will attempt to give you what you seek.

http://www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com/brands/Suzuki.html

Found it!

image.jpg