Motocrossing the corners.

Hey guys since I know nothing about Motocross I'm curious what the approach is like going into the corners?

I hear guys always talking about front brakes and such but have no idea to when they would be applied or even why.

Riding trails the only time I use the front brake is when decending a steep hill and the bike is getting loose.

im far from an expert so please get confrimation from others for what i say but... i have been learning MX for a couple months now and this is the MAIN things ive been learning.

1. shift your weight (hips) up to your tank. you want to be riding that tank like its a lover.
2. when you put your foot off put it forward towards your front wheel and not out to the side. Sometimes its hard to do so cause you naturally want it out so you can put it down but thats not proper.
3. be smooth on your throttle. Try to keep it a smooth throttle twist through the corner instead of getting on and off of it.
4. lean the bike to the right if its a right turn and left if its a left and i think you are suppsosed to straighten out that arm.
5. you want to try to keep your suspension even when you are braking for the corner. Apply both brakes so one or the other isnt fully loaded.
6. some corners you want to jam the back tire into the berm then gas it. This technique im not really good at but ive had people tell me thats what i need to do and have watched others do it nicely.
7. someone told me that when making a left hand corner keep on your back brake just a little even while you are gassing it as it helps keep more traction to the back wheel... another one i am not really good at but was told its a good technique.

if you go to the track start talking to some of then guys that look good out there. they will usually watch you a little and give you advice on what it is you are doing wrong.
or you could post videos every week of yourself at the track here on DBA... like i do.... and DBA'ers will give you solid advice on what to do.

like i said im not really that good and corners are prolly my weakest on the track but ive only been riding dirt bikes since april and the track since sometime around march... when i tell some of the guys at the track that fact their eyes get big and ive been told im doing really good for how long i been riding so something that the people at the track and here at DBA have told me must be working :thumb:

Hey guys since I know nothing about Motocross I'm curious what the approach is like going into the corners?

I hear guys always talking about front brakes and such but have no idea to when they would be applied or even why.

Riding trails the only time I use the front brake is when decending a steep hill and the bike is getting loose.
Bryce you are starting some great threads here :thumb:I for one use my front break more then the rear (I do not even think my rear pads have been used on the street bike). You have a few options in cornering and I am sure the motoheads on here will pipe in soon with woodies...But me being a desert guy will use 3 approaches.

1. Come in hard and be on both binders and square up the corner.
2. Apply only front break a little earlier and run the whole corner as you get on the gas in the beginning.
3. Just chop the throttle, find a grove, plant the wheels and get back in the throttle hard.

Corners take practice and I am sure Travace will chime in as he has been hitting the track every week, you need to practice all different lines to get your technique down.

Cool shit! As I am just getting into track riding!:thumb: I have found the track riding makes me better in the woods....which is NOTHING like desert or tracks!:thumb:

Are you supposed to weight the inside peg on a turn ?

When you are ripping a tight turn on a track - you plant your arse on the outside of the seat and weight the outside peg - this helps plant the bike in the corners. Like Trav already said, you want your leg to be pointed almost straight out to the front which helps plant the front tire. The fast guys are always fast in the corners. :prof:

I think CDA is talking about steering with your weight when standing.

James

Staff member
:thinking: I was wondering to, I've always been taught to do it like you just described Edge. (Weight the outside foot while sitting with your butt on the outside to)

If you are standing in a turn you would apply your weight on your inside leg, yes.

:thinking: I was wondering to, I've always been taught to do it like you just described Edge. (Weight the outside foot while sitting with your butt on the outside to)
Uh did you read what I said you motoheads?:smirk: When you stand and apply pressure to the inside leg, the bike will dive in the corner. You will also use your outside knee to push in on the tank to help bring the bike around. Carry on :thumb:

James

Staff member
Uh did you read what I said you motoheads?:smirk: When you stand and apply pressure to the inside leg, the bike will dive in the corner. You will also use your outside knee to push in on the tank to help bring the bike around. Carry on :thumb:
Standing in corners? That's a new concept for us motoheads. :lol:

I'd just go and try this, but can't right now :cripple: so....

When I come up to a corner I'm usually standing with the weight evenly distributed on the pegs. Then as I sit down I'll weight the outside. My question is, when you're coming in (standing) do you weight the inside and then as you start sitting down transfer it to the outside? Or do you only weight the inside if you're standing all the way through the corner?

After reading all this I think I just moved up to an intermidiate bench racer.........:banana:

For you motoheads...The part about pointing your inside foor towards the front tire rather than out to the side when turning..Is this so your front tire doesn't wash out. I was picturing it in my head what the downfall would be and figured your foot/leg would make you body shift/turn into the turn before you bike would...Am I somewhat on point here? Flat trackers get away with it because they use momentum and speed to carry them through the turn correct?

I seen one thing that spooks me with the motorcross technique. You're sticking your leg out there and if it gets caught or your bike goes down aren't you just asking for a busted leg?

I'm all for being fast in a corner but if it gets me hurt the extra 2 secs it took to take a corner is going to be nothing compared to not riding cause of a busted leg.

I seen one thing that spooks me with the motorcross technique. You're sticking your leg out there and if it gets caught or your bike goes down aren't you just asking for a busted leg?

I'm all for being fast in a corner but if it gets me hurt the extra 2 secs it took to take a corner is going to be nothing compared to not riding cause of a busted leg.

:thumb:...ride at your comfort level.....no need to MX it through the turns just to say you did!

Here is the foot out toward the front wheel, weight shifted to the outside and pressure applied to the outside peg...
a1_2010_5.jpg