Motocross Starting Gates

James

Staff member
I've been looking for some starting gates, but can't seem to find a place to buy them. Any idea as to where someone could pick one up or is everything custom made at local machine shops? Need a 3-4 bike gate.

I've been looking for some starting gates, but can't seem to find a place to buy them. Any idea as to where someone could pick one up or is everything custom made at local machine shops? Need a 3-4 bike gate.

Hey Crash, you need to get MX out of your mind and focus on trail riding so you don't get hurt again! :prof:

James, you could probably think of an idea yourself. I'd get a machinist to bend the metal tubing. Then get the parts welded by a guy. Thinking of the gate-release mechanism will probably be the hardest part. It'd be a whole lot cheaper that way.

James

Staff member
James, you could probably think of an idea yourself. I'd get a machinist to bend the metal tubing. Then get the parts welded by a guy. Thinking of the gate-release mechanism will probably be the hardest part. It'd be a whole lot cheaper that way.
:thumb: Yeah that's why I was asking if anyone has any blue prints, then I'd just take those to the local machine shop and have him build one. Only bad thing about using a "real" one is that it'll take 2 guys to practice starts as one guy has to drop it.

:thumb: Yeah that's why I was asking if anyone has any blue prints, then I'd just take those to the local machine shop and have him build one. Only bad thing about using a "real" one is that it'll take 2 guys to practice starts as one guy has to drop it.

Hmmm, yeah. I will try and think of something during school tomorrow. :P But I was thinking you could get a little metal strip welded to the left side / bottom of the tubing on the first gate to where it holds up the second gate at that posistion. And do the same with the other. With that metal strip, it keeps the gates lifted and makes it much easier to make a drop mechanism (only need to drop the first gate with a lever, and the others fall too) and it also makes it to where if you were to dump the clutch before the gate drops, it will just flop over instead of killing you. This probably doesn't make sense to y'all. I'd probably have to draw it out. It'd be much easier to understand. :lol:

Desert guys don't need a starting gate. Just a flick of the banner out of the back of a truck 100 yards or so in front of you and crack the throttle and dump the clutch.