Looking for advise on bigger bikes

I decided to save my money and not upgrade my son's Honda 150R. After seeing Timo's boy riding a 250 Yamy with the lowering link my gears started to turn. Question is, should I look for the 250WR or the YZ? We mostly ride the desert so the larger tank would be nice on the WR but what about gearing, etc. Does the WR come with electric start? My kid is still kind of small but this way he could touch the ground, sort of, and work into the bike as others have done. What are all of you bike professionals thoughts?

I can't say much that will help, as that I have never Raced the Dez or anything and I've never been on a WR but here it goes. The YZ more than likely could be equipped with a larger tank, and will have an awesome hard hitting powerband. Any tight situations that it gets itself into, it can get out. The lighter weight can be a major advantage at that too. If I did it I'd go with not only a lowering link, but better suited tires (since it is a track bike), a larger tank, and quite possibly a new exaust system if there are any regs/to hard hitting powerband. As for the WR it is going to be closer to what he will use, but it will be alot heavier and have a duller powerband. Him already being a little short for the bike means it needs to be lighter, the extra weight will tire you out attemping to handle on a larger bike.
If you were to ask me, "what should I get" I'd go with the YZ and spend a little garage time on it getting it perfect. Plus if he ever decideds to reach out into other fields of the sport, his bike is already able to handle the swap, where the WR can't.

One big thing. This is California.

WR = green sticker. Ride all year. Electric start 2003 and later.
YZ = red sticker. Can't ride in the summer in socal except for KM.

Take a look at http://www.yamaha-motorcycles.org to compare models and years. For example in 2005 the YZ weighs 206 and has a 1.8 gal tank. The WR is 228 pounds and has a 2.1 gal tank.

The 150R is 185 or 190 in weight.

Like Carl says.:thumb: I was looking for a E start for him, and the one we got was advertised as a 03. But when we got there, I pointed out the year, and another shat load of stuff, and he just kept dropping the price. It finally got so low, I said yes, and then found out it was property tax time, so I probably could have got him lower.:doh:

One big thing. This is California.

WR = green sticker. Ride all year. Electric start 2003 and later.
YZ = red sticker. Can't ride in the summer in socal except for KM.

Take a look at http://www.yamaha-motorcycles.org to compare models and years. For example in 2005 the YZ weighs 206 and has a 1.8 gal tank. The WR is 228 pounds and has a 2.1 gal tank.

The 150R is 185 or 190 in weight.
Just looked at the Yamaha site and the new 250WR weighs in at 297lbs. :shocked: It also appears to be street legal which seems like something new for these models. I need to find an older one. :thinking:

You would think that a WR250R and a WR250F would be more or less the same bike. That is not the case at all. The frame and engine are different as are the weights. How they got that street legal WR250 to be 300 pounds I'll never know. Crazy...

Just looked at the Yamaha site and the new 250WR weighs in at 297lbs. :shocked: It also appears to be street legal which seems like something new for these models. I need to find an older one. :thinking:
you're looking at the WR250R
not the WR250F
big difference between the two.
an aluminum framed wr250f weighs about 260 pounds.