Life, death, the desert and The Flying Wing

- there are magical moments when I am in the middle of nowhere and I find myself wondering if there has ever been a human that has ever actually set foot where I happen to be standing....it's kind of humbling. I imagine you guys may get that same kind of existential feeling out there in the vast desert?? :thumb:
I get this feeling many times when I am out in the vast country and it is awesome. :thumb: I like to just sit on a hill and look over the world and listen to nothing but the wind blowing.

I get this feeling many times when I am out in the vast country and it is awesome. :thumb: I like to just sit on a hill and look over the world and listen to nothing but the wind blowing.

Mrs Rez and I went out to the rez over the 4th of July weekend to do some fix it stuff...never stayed out there in the summer...sitting there at around 6:00 PM, sun's going down, quiet, can't hear the road noise, no one's riding because it's too hot, just the breeze blowing, birds chirping...never like that in th fall/winter/spring...too many vehicle noises.

Even though it was warm it was a great sensation being "alone"........:thumb:

Mrs Rez and I went out to the rez over the 4th of July weekend to do some fix it stuff...never stayed out there in the summer...sitting there at around 6:00 PM, sun's going down, quiet, can't hear the road noise, no one's riding because it's too hot, just the breeze blowing, birds chirping...never like that in th fall/winter/spring...too many vehicle noises.

Even though it was warm it was a great sensation being "alone"........:thumb:

I get this every year sitting in my deer stand. I can't hear anything and at times it is so quite my ears are just ringing from silence. Now that is quite,,,until BANG you about fall out of your stand from that loud azz shot that scared shat of you and know that lucky SOB next property over just busted a deer.:rant: that was my deer :smirk:

I get this every year sitting in my deer stand. I can't hear anything and at times it is so quite my ears are just ringing from silence. Now that is quite,,,until BANG you about fall out of your stand from that loud azz shot that scared shat of you and know that lucky SOB next property over just busted a deer.:rant: that was my deer :smirk:

I'd call that a SLOW deer............:prof:..............would've been yours had he been JUST a little quicker on he hooves........:smirk:...as for the ringing ears....I've got that 24/7...liek a tea pot going off in my head non stop, but still amazed at the quietness (:shocked:) we enjoyed..........:thumb:

SWEET post!! I love that area... used to ride out there all the time when I lived in mammoth!! 3 hours away!!! haha...from where I live now it's 8 uugghh!! but yeah.. love it!! done many desert races out there with the family!! haha :wave:

A2,

You might also be interested to know that the flying wing project, pre Jet power, was housed at Harper Dry Lake during flight testing. As far as I know, it's the only time that this particular facility was used for flight testing. If you look in Google Earth you can still pick out the outlines of the runways. There has never been much out at Harper, but this was definitely it's heyday..... Helps to explain why there was a gas station and store out there way back when.....

D-rat, I have heard about the test facility at Harper, believe the solar plant pretty much covers what was left there, perhaps whats left of a runway is kind of visible near the south west corner of the lake. I didn't know about the testing of the flying wing there.
At one time, it seems that Harper was a happening place, even a early version of a Walmart -the general store, gas station, auto repair place you are talking about.
30-p.jpg

30-q.jpg

Now, it's all gone, just a few houses left.
You have posted some cool stuff on TT (I am guessing you are Desert Rat there), bust out the good stuff here.

Yep, same DR2 as TT, and RDC. Too busy these days to do much posting. It's hard to even find the time to keep up with what others are posting. Hopefully things will calm down a bit after the next few months and I can get back to my historical research on the high desert. Another interesting tidbit about Harper. When my Dad was in his teens, living in Barstow, he and his friends used to go out to Harper to shoot rabbits. Apparently they had a major rabbit problem out in the alfalfa fields. Anyhow, this was the mid-50's and the deal was that you would show up out there with a .22 and the store (owned by the ranch) would give you free ammo to go out and shoot rabbits. It was a common thing for people from Barstow out looking to hunt some rabbit. I believe the large building was built by the airplane manufacturer (can't remember off the top of my head whether it was Hughes or Lockheed, but I think it was Lockheed and Kelly Johnson from Skunkworks). I have it written down somewhere at home, but I'm traveling this week so not close to my notes.

They also operated some sort of dude ranch out there at some point, so it was a bit of a tourist destination for maybe a couple of years. At some point some shyster real estate agent started selling off parcels out there with promises of growth in that part of the desert, which obviously never occurred, and should have been obvious even then. Between 58 and the town, along Harper Lake Road are a bunch of sub-divided parcels, mostly 5-10 acres. If you pay attention as you drive/ride along the road, you will see very old dirt roads running off at 90 degree angles. Most only go out as far as the parcels went and dead end. They are pretty hard to see these days, but they are still there. The blow sand along the fence hides most of them.