Life, death, the desert and The Flying Wing

Not really a ride report, but I posted this on another site, thought some of you might enjoy this.

Like most, I have always been fascinated with planes, a jet flying overhead is always worth a look. My dad was a fighter pilot in the R.C.A.F. so growing up on Air Force bases probably adds to the interest. An exciting yet dangerous profession, in war and in peacetime.
Living in Los Angeles, the high desert is an hour and change away, with lots of good desert riding around the Edwards A.F.B. area. Long known for test pilots and experimental planes, also the location for quite a few crashes.
The X-15 Memorial a few miles north of Randsburg is a popular spot to visit -
Google photo
X15MEMORIAL.jpg

A little more off the beaten path is the B-24 Memorial -
7-08-21.jpg

7-08-20.jpg

Unlike the X-15 Memorial, the B-24 Memorial is more somber due to the fact that after almost 70 years, the scorched earth and some debris is still visible
7-08-24.jpg

A few weeks ago, I read about the YB-49, the Flying Wing and the crash north of Edwards. The Flying Wing is considered the predecessor to the stealth fighter style of jet.
760px-YB49-6_300.jpg

What I found interesting is the fact that I ride the area a lot, and didn't know about the crash site, and had never seen it. So, I had a mission, find the crash site, and pay my respects.
Last Saturday, the weather was fantastic, normally well over a hundred degrees this time of year, temps only reached the high eighties with light wind. Off I went, a rough idea of the location in my mind.
It all looks the same out here
7-16-1.jpg

7-16-2.jpg

I knew I was in the general area, swept back and forth, but no luck
7-16-3.jpg

It didn't make sense, it had to be here somewhere. Taking a chance, I went north an eighth of a mile, crossed a trail I have rode dozens of times, down a small hill, and there it was.
7-16-4.jpg

7-16-5.jpg

Nothing fancy, no concrete marker or plaque, just a stake in the ground, a fresh American Flag, and a few laminated pages explaining what this spot was all about.
7-16-9.jpg

7-16-8.jpg

Like the B-24 Memorial, the area is covered with pieces of melted aluminum
7-16-6.jpg

7-16-7.jpg

As I stood there out in the desert, no sound but the breeze through the scrub, I thought about the crew, the last moments, the sacrifice. The joy of finding the site tainted with the fact that men died on this spot. Getting up in years myself, it made we wonder about my mortality. I paid my respects, looked around, fired up the bike and left.
We come from the Earth and some day it takes us back, all we can do is enjoy the time we have.

awesome man :cheers: i would love to go down there and check all that out, still havn't even been to any of the monuments down in the dez yet...

How much longer till Dez time?:drool::lame: You got a rare "doable" dez day in the summer and were obviously paying close attention to the weather. Good stuff as always.:thumb:

Good stuff.:thumb: I saw the cool weather come and go from work.:thumbsdown: It is truely amazing the amount of men that slammed into the ground over the Mojave.:USA:

It almost seems sad they dont have a plaque also. I think it is cool you went out just to find it. I also like that you shared it here with all of us.

God bless those men and their families. God bless America!:USA:

Good post:thumb:
Thanks A2

I really like the posts and reports you put up here A2. I was thinking of riding last weekend too because of the great weather but I could not bend my knee after the Geek Ride. The Mojave is a great place to visit and I can appreciate your description of sitting out there listening to nothing but the wind and time. :thumb:

All we are is dust in the wind. :smirk:

great post man. I love riding to things like this. Prolly my fav thing about riding dirtbikes is riding to spots most people never even knew existed.

All we are is dust in the wind. :smirk:

great post man. I love riding to things like this. Prolly my fav thing about riding dirtbikes is riding to spots most people never even knew existed.

Don't want to get this thread too far off topic but, Trav's post really reminded me - I love to hike at my cottage - there are magical moments when I am in the middle of nowhere and I find myself wondering if there has ever been a human that has ever actually set foot where I happen to be standing....it's kind of humbling. I imagine you guys may get that same kind of existential feeling out there in the vast desert?? :thumb:

Pretty cool out there in the desert. you can get the gps coordinates and tracks to the common sites. a good place is gpsxchange. If I recall, you upload one of your gps tracks of your own, then can get access to download. pretty cool. upload the points to your gps device, and checkout the sites.

Pretty cool out there in the desert. you can get the gps coordinates and tracks to the common sites. a good place is gpsxchange. If I recall, you upload one of your gps tracks of your own, then can get access to download. pretty cool. upload the points to your gps device, and checkout the sites.
:thumb: ill have to check it out