Lets talk 85-100cc 2 Strokes

Okay guys the more and more I learn about these 2 strokes the more and more I think that is what I'm getting for the wife and daughter. What brand do you prefer and why? What things do I need to look at?

I have never owned one.. but i looked at them for awhile for my g/f at the time... And i was pretty settled on getting the rm85L .. The L model is the big wheel.... She like the looks and feel of sitting on the YZ better.. But they do not have a power valve and everyone said the rm does.. And the rm would be more tamed on the power...Where the YZ would be more like an on and off power switch .. Im sure more peoeple will know more about them than me

well would ya looky here a thread in my ball park. I would have to say kx85/100 mine has been RELIABLE right there with my kx60 i have owned for 4 years. Owned my kx100 for year now and haven't had a single problem. :thumb:

as stated above, for trail riding I would go with either a KX or RM and depending on the size of the user would determine an 85, 85L or a 100. Like BK said, the KX and RM both have a power valve for smoother transition between the power band of the bike. Now you still have to remember these bikes are not bottom end monsters by any means and gearing them properly for trails will help tremendously. i.e. big back sprocket, little counter sprocket

i raced hs on the minis last yr and i have ridden ever mini out there. i owned a cr85 expert (big wheel) i will never own a honda again. i couldnt keep that think together!!!!! if i were u id get her the ktm 85/105 because they have a true woods bike! it already has a fairly big fly wheel, if you get the 85 u can just through big wheels on it if she out grows it, no changing forks/swing arm, i have ridden both 85/105 and they both have the most bottom end out of any mini!! which is y i didnt get 1. i like to rev it to the moon. the kx 100 has pretty good bottom end but not as much as the ktm. the kx revs faster and hits a little harder than the ktm. its a lot heaver to. the ktm has a removable aluminum sub frame kx has a 1 side bar comes off and its all steel so its a lot heavier. the kx is very reliable and so is the ktm. and you can also get a EE tall seat for the ktm 85/105 wen she gets taller. i feel that ktm makes the best woods bike i have riden and owned just about every brand and the ktm seems to handle the abuse better than any other brand. oh i almost forgot the ktm has a case mounted carb and i dont think the kx has that were the reeds go into the case i could get into how it works but i would have a book going be for to long :smirk: anyway the case mounded carb makes for better bottom end power and makes top ends so much easier u dont have to take the carb or reeds off to change the top end. if u really want more info about the ktm's i can provide it but this is just the basics lol

Well here is what is going on. My wife weighs about 100# my daughter weighs about 80# both are about 5'2" We are going to pick up a bike and let them try it. Then if they both love it then we can pick up a second. If not then they want a 660 Raptor. (I'm hoping the love the bikes):smirk: One thing is for sure we are going to be a dang rainbow on the trail. I will be riding blue, my son orange, and my wife and daughter want green.

Well here is what is going on. My wife weighs about 100# my daughter weighs about 80# both are about 5'2" We are going to pick up a bike and let them try it. Then if they both love it then we can pick up a second. If not then they want a 660 Raptor. (I'm hoping the love the bikes):smirk: One thing is for sure we are going to be a dang rainbow on the trail. I will be riding blue, my son orange, and my wife and daughter want green.
:shocked: So if they don't want a 85 or 100, you are going big and putting them on a 660 Raptor? Um why?

:shocked: So if they don't want a 85 or 100, you are going big and putting them on a 660 Raptor? Um why?

They have always ridden 4 wheelers and hot ones at that.(Just never anything with 2 wheels) They say the 660 Grizzly's and 450 Kodiak's they ride of my parents are boring.....:rolleyes: They have never tried bikes so they want to try them and they said if they don't like it they want the racing 4 wheelers, not the boring 4x4 four wheelers. I'm not worried about my wife having to much power cause she is a thottle junkie, its my daughter I worry about. I expressed my opinion on that but that is one arguement I'm not having,:naughty: maybe when you talk to my wife you can have it with her. Cause she says they can handle it.:lol:

I'm just planning to make sure everyone loves the bikes cause I don't want those 4 wheeled things.

They have always ridden 4 wheelers and hot ones at that.(Just never anything with 2 wheels) They say the 660 Grizzly's and 450 Kodiak's they ride of my parents are boring.....:rolleyes: They have never tried bikes so they want to try them and they said if they don't like it they want the racing 4 wheelers, not the boring 4x4 four wheelers. I'm not worried about my wife having to much power cause she is a thottle junkie, its my daughter I worry about. I expressed my opinion on that but that is one arguement I'm not having,:naughty: maybe when you talk to my wife you can have it with her. Cause she says they can handle it.:lol:

I'm just planning to make sure everyone loves the bikes cause I don't want those 4 wheeled things.
Did you just read this sentence?

Did you just read this sentence?

Which one about not wanting the 4 wheeled things or my wife having to much power cause she is a throttle junkie?

One thing about my wife is you don't tell her she can't do something cause she will do it to prove she can.....:foul:

i had started out riding 4 wheelers and i got into a lot more trouble on them than on the bikes the 4 wheelers flip way to easy!!! i cant tell u how many times those things have been on top of me!!!!

i had started out riding 4 wheelers and i got into a lot more trouble on them than on the bikes the 4 wheelers flip way to easy!!! i cant tell u how many times those things have been on top of me!!!!
its a lot easier to get off on a dirtbike but when you do its also a lot easier to get away from the bike and not get hurt.

Quads are a little harder to dirt nap on but when they do its usually really bad as its a lot harder to get away from.

thats my experience . Ive only been riding dirtbikes for a year now but i still lay my bike over if not dirt nap just about every ride i go on but rarely get hurt. Every crash on quads i had growing up was ugly