Let's get this straight

So are 2 strokes supposed to idle or not? I hear that it's bad for them but some people tell me otherwise. I'm not a mx rider and I figured it would be better if the bike idled for the trails. But I'm not to sure now could someone please enlighten me because I don't want to blow my bike up or anything along those lines..

There is nothing wrong with letting the bike idle on its own. I beleive it comes down to rider preference. I know we have more techno geeks on here that can answer this for you better than me. Hopefully they will see your thread and answer this better for you.

It won't hurt a thing letting it idle as long as the jetting is right. They only thing that might happen is you have to "clean it out" By revving the bike to get the buildup out of the cylinder before you start riding

SRAD97750

Staff member
My bike idles all day long.

Let the bike warm up for a long while. Ride it to help it warm up. Once you've ridden for 10 minutes, then go back and set the idle. The idle speed in your video is correct. But not nearly warmed up enough. -BIG DAN:thumb:

So are 2 strokes supposed to idle or not? I hear that it's bad for them but some people tell me otherwise. I'm not a mx rider and I figured it would be better if the bike idled for the trails. But I'm not to sure now could someone please enlighten me because I don't want to blow my bike up or anything along those lines..

A 2stroke is supposed to idle.... Way back in the day, early 80's when MXbike engines were faster than the brakes could handle (Drum brakes) the pro's would remove the idle screw and block it off with a cap. This would allow for more engine braking in the big bore bikes like the 250 or 500 2 strokes of the day. They did this up until about 87-88 when brakes became really really good....

OK now you know why this myth exists and why you need to disregard it... let that bike idle :thumb:

uhhh, waayyy back it was common to not have an MX bike idle so when you crashed and got stuck under it it would die and not hurt you so bad. This was also pre-reeds in motors and pre-water cooling, the new ones do handle idleing wayy better. For years now Ive been setting my to idle. A 2st holds up to idling much better than a 4st as the 2st wont over heat as easily as a 4st-no glowing red pipes.

Last edited:
You all can do what you like, I have mine shut down after a minute or less, never had a fowled plug in my life, I have put new plugs in that were dead, but never fowled one. I listen to George Erl of Up-Tite Husqvarna/Beta, he has more years of wrenching than any of the likes of DBA/TT/ADVRider/CH. When it comes to motors, a guy with Baja from the beginning and over 50 years of experience from your "air/water cooled" engines 2 and 4 stroke has the knowledge I'll listen to. 2T at idle is not getting much oil. Call him, ask why, he explains it better than me. Just ask the general question of why a 2T should or should not idle.
My 2T bikes do not and will not idle all day.

Let's talk about what oil is best, or tire, same answers will come out. Maybe not tires but oil...... Hahaha

Last edited: