Kennedy Meadow Trail Maintenance Hell

I was thinking about going up in the end of July. I've never been. Thanks guys for your hard efforts:thumb: Hope you got some fun in.

I was thinking about going up in the end of July. I've never been. Thanks guys for your hard efforts:thumb: Hope you got some fun in.

It rained and spit sleet sporadically Saturday night, woke up to a steady drizzle that quit by 9am.

I have it on good authority that the trails were alot more fun after the trees were gone. :rolleyes: The supermoto guy told me......

Stopped for gas in Acton on the way home and there was fresh snow on Angeles Crest, what a strange weather year, great for biking.

It rained and spit sleet sporadically Saturday night, woke up to a steady drizzle that quit by 9am.

I have it on good authority that the trails were alot more fun after the trees were gone. :rolleyes: The supermoto guy told me......

Stopped for gas in Acton on the way home and there was fresh snow on Angeles Crest, what a strange weather year, great for biking.

No kidding! It snowed on me in the LPNF last Sunday. It was just enough for hook up:banana: It was a great ride. Flurries blowing on us from a mile away yet we were riding in the sun. Then later thick fog and snow. One of the best rides I've ever had up there. Im happy for this weather:banana: But it sucks for all those trails in the snow. Looks like it will be a shorter season for sure.

Who's the supermoto guy:devil: and what is HE doing on the trail? Giving instructions?:smirk:

No kidding! It snowed on me in the LPNF last Sunday. It was just enough for hook up:banana: It was a great ride. Flurries blowing on us from a mile away yet we were riding in the sun. Then later thick fog and snow. One of the best rides I've ever had up there. Im happy for this weather:banana: But it sucks for all those trails in the snow. Looks like it will be a shorter season for sure.

Who's the supermoto guy:devil: and what is HE doing on the trail? Giving instructions?:smirk:

A friend of Russ (Bobby?) and Chris pulled into camp Saturday night with 2 bikes, 1 supermoto. Paul the lighting guy. Funny dude. We were trying to get him to ride his supermoto through the snow banks.....:devil:

Ok, I have a spot for you with Missy then :P

I do like me some Missy.:hug:

If anyone wants to join in on the fun, it will be on again next week. Well at least that's what I got today from Ranger Bob. There are not too many lower trails left and the higher stuff has still got to be solid snow.

Ranger Red said there were a few trails to do, sounds like Bob just wants to do what is possible at this point. But the WR450 Ranger, seemed to think 4 weeks for Jack Ass. He said there was a 20 tree jumbled mess buried in snow, that they rode around and left for some other time.

One of the best moments we didn't have any pics of. There was a decent 2 foot base diameter tree above the trail. It was at an angle so the top of the tree was on the trail. The tree had blown over and the base had a good root ball. Unfortunately, the top of the tree was the only thing holding it up. When cut, the tree took off down the hill. Now the ranger's bike was just a little to far forward. Lucky for him the log took a little jump at the right moment and the root ball went over his bike by about a foot.

I think my camera was still working at that point, that would have been a good video.:lol:

I can do Rack's tag line one better. I hardly got out of first gear.

You and me both. :smirk:

Nice report. It looks cold but some good riding once you get over the snow. :thumb:

It did snow, but it wasn't that cold.

Even though it was a lot of work, it was a lot of fun too. :thumb:

I'm glad I did the 3 hour drive home. My own warm bed, and the shower was excellent.

A friend of Russ (Bobby?) and Chris pulled into camp Saturday night with 2 bikes, 1 supermoto. Paul the lighting guy. Funny dude. We were trying to get him to ride his supermoto through the snow banks.....:devil:

Nothing like getting the low down of no Rangers up there for Sunday.:naughty:

i think we are going up the last week of july. Gonna celebrate my sons 7th birthday up there.

Sorry for the delay, but the is a few more pictures that I can post.

Our next destination.
KM Maint 2011 034.jpg

Time for a quick snack while the chain saw gets sharpened.
KM Maint 2011 036.jpg

Once in Rattlesnake, the water crossings began.
KM Maint 2011 042.jpg

Some were tame.
KM Maint 2011 037.jpg

Here comes Carl.
KM Maint 2011 038.jpg

This was a shallow short crossing.
KM Maint 2011 039.jpg

This was a long, rocky nightmare.
KM Maint 2011 040.jpg

I walked it out too.
KM Maint 2011 041.jpg

Carl tried to jump out early.:smirk:
KM Maint 2011 043.jpg

And this is the last picture before I dropped the camera.:foul:
KM Maint 2011 045.jpg

Mr Taxi talked the Ranger into rerouting around the back, saving us a good 2 hours.:banana: This was about 5:00 so any short cuts were a good thing.:thumb: Once out of the canton, it was some pavement, and down a snowmobile trail. There's nothing like following a Ranger, and watch him ride right around a No Motorcycles sign, and get to follow right behind him.:naughty:

Thank you for all your hard work guys.

+1 100% grunt work, thanks you guys!!

Just back from Mammoth last week. The area looked much like KM with down trees and trail closures. Many camps delayed opening this year, a few still not open, causing other campgrounds which normally don't fill to become full. Found many patches of snow on the ground around Deadman's, June, water in the creeks flowing like crazy. Even went to Yosemite for the day, many campgrounds still closed, ice still floating in the lakes, waterfalls going off everywhere you looked, even roadside. The meadow areas look like marshes. Lot's of work for the record snowfall this year!

Thanks again for your time and hard work! :thumb:

Sweet report Timo, I'll check video when I get home. Thanks guys for all your work. We need to do a CA, DBA trip for a weekend once it is all open. Takers??? As long as I can get out of Jury Duty on the 5th I can do a weekday excursion also...

Sweet report Timo, I'll check video when I get home. Thanks guys for all your work. We need to do a CA, DBA trip for a weekend once it is all open. Takers??? As long as I can get out of Jury Duty on the 5th I can do a weekday excursion also...

i had already been planing to go up there for the last week of july.