Kennedy Meadow Trail Maintenance Hell

Trying out the video quality of my $50 camera. I don't think KM will be open for a while, there is just still a lot of snow, with it even snowing on us at the end of the day.

This is Baja Taxi, helping cleonard over one of the many deep drifts.

I guess I jumped ahead, but the weekend started, after being postponed to begin with, with Mr Ranger wanting to postpone again. However, being Friday afternoon, there were a few of us that were already committed. So a couple of Rangers with saws were recruited, and we set out Saturday AM to do what we could.

The first shot is of the cheapest gas around me, at the top of the hill at the Outpost Truck Stop
KM Maint 2011 001.jpg

So after $100 for the truck, and $25 for the bike, I was back on the road.
KM Maint 2011 002.jpg
Just up the 395, the Mavericks had a game night.
KM Maint 2011 003.jpg
Just next door is Bravo Burgers. :banana:
KM Maint 2011 004.jpg
Friday dinner, a California pastrami. :thumb:
KM Maint 2011 007.jpg
Yes, just like the sign says, it's closed.
KM Maint 2011 009.jpg
My sleeping quarters for Friday night.
KM Maint 2011 010.jpg
Carls lodgings.
KM Maint 2011 011.jpg
John was the camp host, and provided coffee in the morning. :hail:
KM Maint 2011 012.jpg

To be continued eventually...

Sweet vids, yeah, I would say you got a couple weeks before those drifts are clear enough to make riding pleasant.

Yeah even the Ranger said 2 or 3 weeks, just to try and get back to finish the work.

Awesome report!
Keep it coming!
I have a trip planned for July 15th up there.
Think I should wait?

I'm thinking maybe the 4th of July. :noidea: Cleonard will most likely be talking the Bob, and will let everyone know.

Getting ready at Blackrock. Notice the shirt.:busted:
KM Maint 2011 015.jpg
Another self portrait at sign in.
KM Maint 2011 016.jpg
Shot of my Ranger.
KM Maint 2011 017.jpg
It was less then 100 yards before we hit our first blockage.
KM Maint 2011 026.jpg
Besides downed trees, there were leaners too.
KM Maint 2011 018.jpg
And more then one.
KM Maint 2011 019.jpg
See
KM Maint 2011 022.jpg
Then there where the ones you couldn't do anything with.
KM Maint 2011 027.jpg
Baja Taxi, and Cleonard.
KM Maint 2011 020.jpg
BT trying to find his breath. :P
KM Maint 2011 021.jpg
Mr Ranger needed a picture of the major snow drift for his boss. :smirk:
KM Maint 2011 023.jpg
This is from the other side, notice the 2 sets of tracks, the set on the right is mine, the one on the left is Yogis.
KM Maint 2011 024.jpg
Up close bear track picture.
KM Maint 2011 025.jpg
It was snow bank, after snow bank.
KM Maint 2011 028.jpg
If it wasn't snow, it was trees.
KM Maint 2011 031.jpg
Good times. :smirk:
KM Maint 2011 032.jpg
3 hours on the trail, and a total of 4.9 miles.
KM Maint 2011 033.jpg

If anyone wants to join in on the fun, it will be on again next week. Well at least that's what I got today from Ranger Bob. There are not too many lower trails left and the higher stuff has still got to be solid snow. I just don't see it melting in a week as the highs will be lucky to reach 60 at 8500-9000 where the deep snow must be. It was really good riding snow though. Nice and dense with no breaking through going on.

One of the best moments we didn't have any pics of. There was a decent 2 foot base diameter tree above the trail. It was at an angle so the top of the tree was on the trail. The tree had blown over and the base had a good root ball. Unfortunately, the top of the tree was the only thing holding it up. When cut, the tree took off down the hill. Now the ranger's bike was just a little to far forward. Lucky for him the log took a little jump at the right moment and the root ball went over his bike by about a foot.

I can do Rack's tag line one better. I hardly got out of first gear.