500 Joining the ranks of men

Does anyone know what "add gas" fuel is? The previous owner said that's all he ran in it. Is it race fuel mixed with premium pump gas. Like VP with 91 octane?

Maybe he did say av gas...? I don't know, all I know is the fuel sat in the tank for over 2 years and the bike started on the third kick. Cleaned the carb out and it looked great. No varnish or clogged jets, pretty spotless. Said he mixed it 40:1

View attachment 29540
View attachment 29541
View attachment 29542
Got my 500 finally. Can anyone guess the year? Runs good but will need some tuning, has been sitting in a garage for 2 years. Some bad news however, coolant is leaking into the transmission. This happened with my 03 kx250 once before. Think it's a bad seal on the right case or the impeller shaft seals??

I'd check the impeller shaft if worn / grooved Along with replacing the seal??

Sweet bike!!

Maybe he did say av gas...? I don't know, all I know is the fuel sat in the tank for over 2 years and the bike started on the third kick. Cleaned the carb out and it looked great. No varnish or clogged jets, pretty spotless. Said he mixed it 40:1

Av gas will take the "white" off of rice. It is the hands down best thing to store bikes on that I have ever found. Solidly beats any of the out of a can storage items, and is oh so easy on the rubber seals and hoses of any kind. I get it easily and for the price of picking it up, so I learned to use it. There are better fuels at about 15 per gallon here though.

Last edited:
Are clymer manuals any good?

They seem to vary by model. I dont like the ones they put out for most dirtbikes. They will do a whole grouping like xr250-650L's in the same book, and sometimes it isn't clear which model you are seeing specifications for and if you are using one in the shop, you can get started in the wrong direction. On their streetbikes they seem better about that.

They have improved on the drawings and pictures that they show to illustrate mechanical practices, and in the past they would use things that were automotive files to show some procedures. Things like that were annoying to me and confusing to others I have talked to.

Does anyone know for certain of 96 kx500 plastics (front number plate and side number plates specifically) would fit a 92-93 kx500? I want to order Attack graphics numbers with back grounds from Rocky mountain mc but the furthest they go back on a kx500 is 96. They look pretty damn close but I'm not sure