It works!

I put two new trailer tires on last October. I saved the best old one as a spare on a rim.

I never thought about it. Well, we hit something on the road and it toasted a tire on the trailer on the highway going home. The trailer was heavy, and the tire was trash.

I got the spare out, and it was flat! And the bead was floppy on it!

I have one of those plug-in 12V pumps, and I could not get the bead to set to take air.

We had starting fluid, and I sprayed it inside the tire, waited a few seconds, and put a lighter to it.

POP! It set the bead!

Done deal! It took air and got us home!

That was awesome! That shit works!

I felt like superman for a minute, getting our asses out of trouble so quickly! I had only seen it done, never by my own hand!

:thumb:

Pictures or it didn't happen as they say. I want to see this for myself. :thinking: Is there a safe amount of starting fluid to spray in or is it just luck?

Pictures or it didn't happen as they say. I want to see this for myself. :thinking: Is there a safe amount of starting fluid to spray in or is it just luck?

My old neighbor drives a dump truck and I seen him change the tires on his truck and that is the same way he set the beed on those big tires..

I do this all the time with ATV tires!

I use gasoline and a propane torch. :rocker:

PS: A word of advice, if you want to try and kick the tire while it is aflame...step away and let your not-so-signifigant other do it. :eek:
PPS: Tires may jump if not secured. :prof:

Sometimes this method is the only way to get a bead set when you don't have the proper tools. It is also a great skill to have when out on the road or trail as Buckrun demonstrated. It's not what I would call "safe." I imagine that it could blow up in your face, literally. I've used starting fluid and propane as the fuel. Gloves and safety glasses are a good idea.

yes and start just with a little starting fluid,, don't over do it the very first time. you can always add more and retry, you can never take away once you light it.